- Title: Car bomb kills 13 in central Baghdad, claimed by IS - security sources
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (MAY 30, 2017) (AMATEUR VIDEO OBTAINED BY REUTERS) (MOBILE PHONE FOOTAGE) CHAOS AT SCENE WITH PEOPLE RUNNING TO EVACUATE VICTIMS, CARS ON FIRE, MAN STANDING NEAR DEAD PERSON LYING ON THE STREET
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 12:24
- Keywords: car bomb Baghdad attack Islamic State Karrada district
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J15XZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility for a car bomb that killed at least 13 people and wounded about 30 in the early hours of Tuesday (May 30) in a commercial street in central Baghdad, according to security sources.
The bombing targeted the mainly Shi'ite Muslim Karrada district, which was hit by a massive truck bomb in July 2016 that killed at least 324 people, the deadliest attack in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion of the country in 2003. The 2016 blast was also claimed by Islamic State.
Both bombings happened during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, during which people stay up late and many eat out to prepare for the fast the next day.
The hardline Sunni group has been retreating in Iraq since the end of 2015 in the face of U.S.-backed government forces and Iranian-backed Shi'ite paramilitary groups and is now besieged in an enclave in the northern city of Mosul.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None