- Title: South Africa's ruling party backs Zuma after calls for him to quit
- Date: 29th May 2017
- Summary: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA (MAY 29, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NEWSPAPER HEADLINES ABOUT ZUMA SURVIVING A RECALL
- Embargoed: 12th June 2017 18:19
- Keywords: ANC Zuma motion of no confidence Gupta
- Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
- City: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA
- Country: South Africa
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IW662V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: NOTE TO EDITORS: PART VISUAL QUALITY AS INCOMING
South African President Jacob Zuma has survived an attempt by critics inside the ruling African National Congress to oust him, a senior party official said.
ANC Secretary General Gwede Mantashe said the party's National Executive Committee had defeated a no confidence motion on Sunday (May 28).
Zuma has been facing mounting pressure to go from within the ANC since he sacked finance minister Pravin Gordhan in March.
That move has hit South Africa's rand, which weakened further on Monday (May 29).
Political analyst Ralph Mathekga told Reuters the vote showed that critics within the ANC were now feeling bold enough to openly challenge Zuma.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.