- Title: Macron and Putin discuss Syria, Ukraine in first meeting at Versailles
- Date: 29th May 2017
- Summary: VERSAILLES, FRANCE (MAY 29, 2017) (REUTERS) STATUE IN FRONT OF EXTERIOR OF PALACE OF VERSAILLES FRENCH FLAG FLYING EXTERIOR OF PALACE VARIOUS OF FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, AND RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, WALKING IN HALL TOWARDS PODIUMS FOR NEWS CONFERENCE PAINTING ON WALL PUTIN AND MACRON LISTENING TO QUESTION (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "The first thing (I said) was that on our side there was a very clear red line: the use of chemical weapons by anybody. And any use of chemical weapons will be subjected to reprisals and an immediate retaliation from the French." MACRON ADDRESSING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "Our absolute priority is fighting terrorism and the eradication of terrorist groups, and Daesh (Islamic State) in particular. That's the guiding principle of our actions in Syria and that's why outside of the work we're doing as part of the coalition, I would like to strengthen our partnership with Russia." CAMERA CREWS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "It is important that today, during the talks, we felt that there are many things that we evaluate in a similar way, that we assess many things from the same position, although there are some differences. But things that unite us give us a reason to think that we cannot only intensify but also improve the quality of our cooperation." MACRON ADDRESSING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "Our wish, I think I can say this, correct me if I'm wrong President Putin, is that a meeting in the 'Normandy' format takes place as soon as possible, with Germany and Ukraine." BUST (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "You have asked how sanctions against Russia will help in the resolution of the crisis in Ukraine's southeast. They will not. So I appeal to you as well as to the representatives of French media - you should fight for the lifting of all restrictions in the global economy. Only the lifting of all restrictions to free market and free competition - fair and free of political interests and opportunistic instruments - can help the development of the world economy, contribute to fighting against unemployment, and increase the quality of life for our citizens." NEWS CONFERENCE UNDERWAY (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "Great things happen over time. As for the last French elections, we talked about them when President Putin called to congratulate me. I am a pragmatist. We discussed that topic. I said what I had to say to the president, he said what he had to say and I'm moving forward." JOURNALISTS AT NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) RUSSIAN PRESIDENT, VLADIMIR PUTIN, SAYING: "As for the imaginary intrusion by Russia into elections anywhere - we did not discuss this. And Mr. President did not show any interest in talking about it. As for me - I think there is nothing to talk about." NEWS CONFERENCE UNDERWAY NEWS CONFERENCE UNDERWAY (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRESIDENT, EMMANUEL MACRON, SAYING: "We talked about the case of LGBT people in Chechnya, but also the case of NGOs in Russia. Regarding these topics, I spoke very clearly about France's expectations to President Putin, and we agreed to have a very regular joint follow-up. Incidentally, President Putin told me he had taken several initiatives regarding LGBT people in Chechnya with measures aiming to make the truth known about the activities of local authorities and settle the most important problems." BUST MACRON THANKING JOURNALISTS, AND SHAKING HANDS WITH PUTIN/ THE TWO WALKING AWAY DARK SKIES OVER PALACE OF VERSAILLES VARIOUS OF GARDENS
- Embargoed: 12th June 2017 17:50
- Keywords: Putin Macron news conference Ukraine Syria hacking sanctions chemical weapons gay rights
- Location: VERSAILLES, FRANCE
- City: VERSAILLES, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IW698N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: TRANSLATIONS TO SOUNDBITES ARE BY REUTERS
Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday (May 29) denied Russia had sought to meddle in any country's election, after talks with new French President Emmanuel Macron outside Paris.
Putin said any "intrusion into elections" by Russia was imaginary and that he and Macron did not even discuss the issue.
The two men agreed on the need to fight terrorism and discussed the civil war in Syria, LGBT rights in Russia and the situation in Ukraine, where pro-Russian rebels have seized territory in the east of the country.
During his recent election campaign, Macron's camp banned Russia's state-funded Sputnik news agency and RT TV - from his headquarters, saying they were spreading propaganda rather than reporting real news.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None