- Title: Russian lynched in Cancun released from hospital, could face murder charges
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO (MAY 29, 2017) (REUTERS) RUSSIAN CITIZEN, ALEKSEI MAKEEV, INJURED IN MOB ATTACK, BEING PUSHED IN WHEELCHAIR OUT OF HOSPITAL WINDSHIELD OF POLICE VEHICLE TRANSPORTING MAKEEV MAKEEV BEING HELPED UP FROM WHEELCHAIR AND PLACED INTO VEHICLE VEHICLE TRANSPORTING MAKEEV LEAVING HOSPITAL GROUNDS EXTERIOR OF QUINTANA ROO STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL HEADQUARTERS MAKEEV BEING HELPED OUT OF VEHICLE PARKED POLICE VEHICLE MAKEEV IN WHEELCHAIR TALKING TO MAN IN ATTORNEY GENERAL HEADQUARTERS MAKEEV SITTING IN WHEELCHAIR WITH INJURIES TO HIS BODY AND SLING IN HIS ARM TALKING TO MAN IN RUSSIAN AND IS THEN WHEELED AWAY VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF JAIL CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO (MAY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) CANCUN HOSPITAL DIRECTOR, DR IGNACIO BERMUDEZ, WORKING IN HIS OFFICE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CANCUN HOSPITAL DIRECTOR, DR. IGNACIO BERMUDEZ, SAYING: "In the early morning hours today (May 30), he (Makeev) was transported back to the hospital. The patient returned in good conditions, in a wheelchair, he has a paralysis on his left side and has difficulty supporting himself in his lower half. The patient has been hospitalised and receiving attendance and supervision to take care of him." EXTERIOR OF EMERGENCY AREA OF HOSPITAL VAN FROM PUBLIC SECURITY MINISTRY OUTSIDE HOSPITAL SIGN AT HOSPITAL PEOPLE OUTSIDE ENTRANCE TO HOSPITAL (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CANCUN HOSPITAL DIRECTOR, DR. IGNACIO BERMUDEZ, SAYING: "He is watched by four officers, he was sleeping independently. The patient's (condition) has evolved favourably. This is the chance to supervise him and to guard him, to provide an option for the legal process to determine his final status."
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 22:27
- Keywords: Russian citizen mob attack racist online videos Cancun Mexico Russia
- Location: CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO
- City: CANCUN, QUINTANA ROO, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J16XK3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A Russian man who was lynched by an angry mob in Cancun was released from hospital on Monday (May 29) to provide a police statement after a man in the melee was killed, officials reported.
Russian national Aleksei Makeev was attacked with sticks and stones for reportedly posting racist online videos. He has since regained consciousness.
Medics and investigators escorted Makeev to Quintana Roo State Attorney General headquarters to give his version of events from the mob attack. After his statement, Makeev returned to hospital to continue with his recovery.
Footage of the attack has circulated widely online, with assailants heard shouting "You're going to die" and "I'm going to cut your head off" as they closed in on the Russian man. As the violence in Makeev's home unfolded, the Russian citizen reportedly stabbed a youth who got into his apartment, prompting the mob to grow and the violence to escalate, officials reported.
The Russian national has reportedly been in Mexico since 2014 and was at one point offered permanent residence on humanitarian grounds.
He is expected to be deported once he has fully recovered.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None