- Title: Second car bomb in central Baghdad kills seven, wounds 38
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (MAY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF STREET CORDONED OFF, SECURITY FORCES, DAMAGED BUILDINGS AND CARS VARIOUS OF CHARRED CARS AND DAMAGED CAR NEARBY SHOP WITH SHATTERED WINDOWS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT OF AREA (NAME UNKNOWN), SAYING: "What did these people do to be killed in this way?â€ QUESTION: "Do you know the dead?â€ "I know each one of them. There are all poor people who work to earn a living. O, government." VARIOUS OF EMERGENCY AND SECURITY FORCES ON SITE
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 09:57
- Keywords: Iraq blast car bomb Baghdad suicide attack
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J14JEV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: At least seven people were killed and 38 others were wounded when a car bomb exploded near a government office in the Karkh district of central Baghdad on Tuesday (May 30), police sources said.
The blast followed a suicide attack in the early hours of the day claimed by Islamic State near a popular ice cream shop in Baghdad's Shi'ite district of Karrada that killed up to 13 people and wounded more than 40 others.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the second blast, which took place near a retired civil servants office.
Islamic State has recently carried out similar attacks in Baghdad and other Iraqi cities as their hold on the northern city of Mosul weakens.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None