- Title: Eiffel Tower goes dark in honour of Baghdad bomb victims
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MAY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) EIFFEL TOWER LIT UP VARIOUS OF EIFFEL TOWER WITH LIGHTS ON PEOPLE GATHERED OUTSIDE PARVIS DES DROITS DE L'HOMME WRITING ON WALLS OF MUSÃ‰E DES DROITS DE L'HOMME BUILDING MORE OF PEOPLE GATHERED OUTSIDE PARVIS DES DROITS DE L'HOMME LIGHTS ON EIFFEL TOWER BEING SWITCHED OFF IN HONOUR OF BAGHDAD BOMBING VICTIMS
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 23:26
- Keywords: Eiffel Tower Baghdad bomb attack memorial honour victims Paris France
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J181TZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Lights were switched off at Paris' Eiffel Tower just before midnight (2200GMT) on Tuesday (May 30) in honour of the victims killed in bomb blasts in Baghdad.
Two car bombs killed at least 20 people in the Iraqi city and wounded about 80 others early on Tuesday, security sources said, one targeting the late-night crowds typical of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan who shop and eat ahead of the next day's fast.
Islamic State, the Sunni hardline group that controls parts of Iraq and Syria, claimed both attacks in statements on its Amaq news agency.
A car packed with explosives blew up near a popular ice cream shop in the commercial Karrada district, killing at least 13 people and wounding 40 just after midnight (2100 GMT on Monday).
A few hours later, a second bombing killed ten people and wounded 44 more near a government office in Karkh district.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None