- Title: Spanish taxi drivers strike and demonstrate against Uber and Cabify
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (MAY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) TAXI DRIVERS MARCHING TAXI DRIVERS HOLDING FLAGS FROM THEIR REGION OF SPAIN AND SIGN READING (Spanish) "Taxis demand the law is followed, 30 taxis, 1 vehicle with driver (VTC). STOP VTC" MARCH IN PROGRESS SIGN READING (Spanish) "Taxis demand the law is followed, 30 taxis, 1 vehicle with driver (VTC). STOP VTC" MARCH IN PROGRESS STRING OF FIRECRACKERS GOING OFF ON STREET DEMONSTRATOR RUNNING THROUGH SMOKE AFTER FIRECRACKERS HAVE GONE OFF DEMONSTRATOR IN CROWD HOLDING A FLARE BANNER READING (Spanish) "Taxis united, will never be defeated" POLICE TALKING ON WALKIE TALKIE AS DEMONSTRATORS WALK PAST POLICE WEARING RIOT GEAR WALKING AND MARCH IN PROGRESS BEHIND THEM DEMONSTRATION IN PROGRESS FIRECRACKER GOING OFF MARCH IN PROGRESS VARIOUS OF FIRECRACKERS GOING OFF POLICE AND MARCH IN PROGRESS BEHIND THEM DEMONSTRATORS ARRIVING AT BARRIERS SET UP TO STOP THEM GETTING TO PARLIAMENT POLICE STANDING BY BARRIER AND DEMONSTRATORS ARRIVING AT OTHER SIDE OF BARRIER DEMONSTRATORS GATHERED, ONE HOLDING A SPANISH FLAG AND ANOTHER HOLDING A SIGN READING (Spanish) "No more VTC" (vehicle with driver) DEMONSTRATORS NEAR BARRIER DEMONSTRATORS WITH THEIR HANDS IN THE AIR CHANTING (Spanish) "Hands up, this is a hold-up" VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATOR HOLDING A BLUE FLARE IN CROWD POLICE HELICOPTER FLYING OVERHEAD DEMONSTRATORS HOLDING FLAGS AND SIGNS RIOT POLICE ASKING PHOTOGRAPHER TO MOVE AND THEN ASKING MEDIA TO MOVE BACK VARIOUS OF PROTEST IN PROGRESS PROTESTER COMPLAINING TO POLICE FROM BEHIND BARRIER VARIOUS OF POLICE LOOKING ON AS DEMONSTRATION CONTINUES POLICE LOOKING ON AS SMOKE RISES ABOVE CROWDS OF DEMONSTRATORS WHEN FIREWORKS ARE LET OFF LEADER OF ANTI-AUSTERITY PARTY PODEMOS PABLO IGLESIAS CLAPPING AS DEMONSTRATORS CHANT (Spanish) "Yes we can!" PHOTOGRAPHERS TAKING PHOTOS OF IGLESIAS EGG HITTING THE PRESIDENT OF THE TAXI FEDERATION JULIO SAENZ AS HE SPEAK TO IGLESIAS BEHIND THE BARRIER, IGLESIAS WIPING EGG FROM HIS FOREHEAD, SAENZ STARRING IN DIRECTION OF DEMONSTRATORS IN DISBELIEF AND SAYING (UPSOUND) (Spanish) "You deserve nothing, you deserve nothing." SAENZ SHOWING DOCUMENTS TO IGLESIAS WITH EGG ALL OVER HIS JACKET AND A PIECE OF EGG SHELL ON HIS FOREHEAD AS IGLESIAS USES A TISSUE TO WIPE THE SIDE OF HIS FACE PHOTOGRAPHERS SAENZ AND IGLESIAS SMILING AND SHAKING HANDS, SAENZ WIPING EGG FROM HIS FACE
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 15:03
- Keywords: Taxi protest Uber Cabify demonstration Spain Madrid
- Location: MADRID. SPAIN
- City: MADRID. SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J16V5Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Taxi drivers across Spain staged a strike on Tuesday (May 30) and demonstrated against Uber and Cabify which they say are breaking the law and engaging in unfair competition.
In Madrid, taxi drivers stopped from 6 a.m. (0400GMT) TO 6 p.m. (1600GMT) and in Barcelona the strike will last a full 24 hours.
Local taxi drivers in the Spanish capital were joined by thousands of their colleagues from different parts of Spain in a colourful march from one of the main train stations to the vicinity of parliament where Julio Saenz, president of the taxi federation, filed the grievances of his union.
Saenz was hit by an egg when he and the leader of anti-austerity party Podemos, Pablo Iglesias, who is supporting the taxi drivers' cause, approached the demonstrators. It was not clear whether the egg was meant for Iglesias or Saenz.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None