- Title: Olivia Newton-John reveals cancer return
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: NASHVILLE, TENNESSEE, UNITED STATES (FILE - NOVEMBER 2, 2016) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ACTRESS AND SINGER NEWTON-JOHN LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES (FILE - DECEMBER 10, 2013) (REUTERS) NEWTON-JOHN WITH HUSBAND JOHN EASTERLING LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE-MARCH 7, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NEWTON-JOHN DURING INTERVIEW LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE-APRIL 19, 2012) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NEWTON-JOHN FLICKING THROUGH BOOK LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE-APRIL 19, 2012) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NEWTON-JOHN DURING BOOK SIGNING
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 22:38
- Keywords: Olivia Newton-John breast cancer concert tour cancellation actress Grease
- Location: NASHVILLE, TENNESEE, UNITED STATES; LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES; LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: NASHVILLE, TENNESEE, UNITED STATES; LAS VEGAS, NEVADA, UNITED STATES; LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J17ZGT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: "Grease" actress and singer Olivia Newton-John said on Tuesday (May 30) that her breast cancer has returned and spread to her lower back.
Newton-John, 68, who became an advocate for healthy living and medical research after her first bout with breast cancer in 1992, will undergo radiation treatment and is confident of returning to work later this year, her representatives said in a statement.
"I decided on my direction of therapies after consultation with my doctors and natural therapists and the medical team at my Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness and Research Centre in Melbourne, Australia," Newton-John said.
The statement said the "Physical" singer was postponing her June U.S. and Canadian tours.
"The back pain that initially caused her to postpone the first half of her concert tour, has turned out to be breast cancer that has metastasized to the sacrum," Tuesday's statement said.
British-born and Australian-raised Newton-John started her career as a singer with pop hits like "If Not for You" and "I Honestly Love You."
She shot to international fame in the 1978 movie adaptation of musical "Grease," playing goody-goody teenager Sandy opposite John Travolta's wild boy Danny Zuko.
Newton-John was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992, and has raised funds for research and treatment as well as campaigning against animal cruelty.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None