- Title: U.N.'s De Mistura hopes for accelerated Syria solution after Macron-Putin meeting
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MAY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) U.N. SPECIAL ENVOY FOR SYRIA, STAFFAN DE MISTURA, ARRIVING INSIDE FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTRY CAMERAWOMAN FILMING DE MISTURA SHAKING HANDS WITH FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTER AND MINISTER OF EUROPE, JEAN-YVES LE DRIAN DE MISTURA, LE DRIAN AND OFFICIALS TALKING / LE DRIAN WALKING AWAY DE MISTURA AND LE DRIAN SHAKING HANDS DE MISTURA AND LE DRIAN SHAKING HANDS AND TAKING SEATS FOR MEETING DE MISTURA AND LE DRIAN ARRIVING FOR NEWS BRIEFING (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH FOREIGN MINISTER AND MINISTER OF EUROPE, JEAN-YVES LE DRIAN, SAYING: "It's important that negotiations from now focus on what's at the heart of the issue: political transition, the terms of shifting power during the transition phase, the reform of the Syrian constitutional framework, the preparation of free and fair elections. That's what's been fixed by (U.N. Security Council) Resolution 2254 and it's our roadmap today." CAMERAMAN FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (French) U.N. SPECIAL ENVOY FOR SYRIA, STAFFAN DE MISTURA, SAYING: "De-escalation, that's what the people are calling for, that's what the Syrians are calling for. And Astana, it's true, led to a de-escalation, we had it, and a remarkable de-escalation but not enough, with a lot of question marks which we hope the next Astana (meeting) will look into. The three countries committed - the Russian Federation, Turkey and Iran, are able, if they so wish, to agree to influence that. And together, we hope that can happen." CAMERAMAN FILMING (SOUNDBITE) (French) U.N. SPECIAL ENVOY FOR SYRIA, STAFFAN DE MISTURA, SAYING: "I think, our analysis, of the meeting between (French) President (Emmanuel) Macron and (Russian) President (Vladimir) Putin is that it has the potential to help us produce different visions on how we can try to really accelerate the political solution in Syria. So thank you, thank you." NEWS BRIEFING ENDING / DE MISTURA AND LE DRIAN SHAKING HANDS / DE MISTURA LEAVING
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 20:24
- Keywords: De Mistura Le Drian Syria France foreign minister special envoy United Nations
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Government/Politics,United Nations
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J17PZB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: United Nations Special Envoy for Syria Staffan de Mistura was welcomed in Paris on Tuesday (May 30) where he met with French Foreign and Europe Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian on Syria.
The meeting comes as newly-elected French President Emmanuel Macron seeks to review French policy on the six-year civil war in the country.
Macron's recent electoral victory has offered an opportunity for Paris to examine its policy on Syria with some considering the previous administration's stance as too intransigent and leaving it isolated on the subject.
De Mistura welcomed the meeting on Monday (May 29) between Macron and Russian President Vladimir Putin, a key backer of Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad, saying he hoped it would "accelerate the political solution in Syria."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None