- Title: Cyclone wreaks havoc on coast of Bangladesh
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: COX'S BAZAR, BANGLADESH (MAY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WAVES HITTING BEACH OFF BAY OF BENGAL PEOPLE WALKING THROUGH STRONG WIND TREES SWAYING VARIOUS OF CARTS, HUTS BEING BLOWN IN WIND VARIOUS OF TREES SWAYING MAN RUNNING PAST WITH HIS CATTLE BROKEN TREES VARIOUS OF UPROOTED TREE, BROKEN WALL BROKEN BILLBOARD, PEOPLE STANDING DAMAGED CORRUGATED IRON WALL VARIOUS OF WATER BLOWING ACROSS GROUND DURING LOW TIDE HOUSE SUSTAINING STRONG WINDS CORRUGATED IRON FROM HOME, DEBRIS ON GROUND VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CLEARING BROKEN TREES, BRANCHES VARIOUS OF PEOPLE, SOME CARRYING BELONGINGS, ON STREET HEADING TO SHELTER
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 11:28
- Keywords: Bangladesh cyclone Cox's Bazar Rohingya refugees refugee camps
- Location: COX'S BAZAR, BANGLADESH
- City: COX'S BAZAR, BANGLADESH
- Country: Bangladesh
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J14ND1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Cyclone Mora struck the island of Saint Martin and Teknaf in the coastal Bangladeshi district of Cox's Bazar early on Tuesday (May 30), where officials said some 200,000 people were evacuated to shelters.
Cox's Bazar district chief Mohammad Ali Hussin said at least 15,000 houses in the district had been destroyed and he had unconfirmed reports of three people killed and dozens injured, including several Rohingya refugees.
The border area is also home to refugee camps for hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims from Myanmar who have fled from violence in their homeland in northwest Myanmar. A U.N. official working with Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh said the damage in the camps could not be assessed while the storm was raging.
The cyclone formed after monsoon rains triggered floods and landslides in Sri Lanka, off India's southern tip, killing at least 180 people in recent days, authorities said. It was expected to weaken in Bangladesh by late morning as it moved inland towards India where authorities have warned of heavy rain in northeastern states.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None