- Title: Suicide car bomb kills 13 people at Baghdad ice cream parlour
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: SANDAL ON FLOOR BLOOD-STAINED FLOOR TILES
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 05:56
- Keywords: Iraq blast car bomb Baghdad suicide attack ice cream parlour
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026J13NT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A suicide car bomb claimed by Islamic State killed 13 people and wounded 40 others when it exploded shortly after midnight on Tuesday (May 30) (2100 gmt on Monday (May 29)) outside a popular ice cream parlour in central Baghdad, police and hospital sources said.
The bombing, which came only three days into Muslims' holy fasting month of Ramadan, ripped through the shop packed with customers in the mainly Shi'ite district of Karrada. During Ramadan, many people stay up past midnight and eat out to prepare for the next day's fast.
A few hours later, a second bombing killed seven people and wounded 38 more near a government office in the Karkh district. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Islamic State has recently carried out similar attacks in Baghdad and other Iraqi cities as their hold on the northern city of Mosul weakens.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None