- Title: Kabul blast death toll rises to 80, hundreds wounded
- Date: 31st May 2017
- Summary: PEOPLE GATHERED BEHIND AMBULANCE
- Embargoed: 14th June 2017 08:39
- Keywords: blast deaths aftermath damage security forces
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0046J64XFR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Afghan Taliban denied responsibility for a vehicle bomb attack in Kabul on Wednesday (May 31) as authorities started clearing the blast site where at least 80 people were killed and more than 350 wounded.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement the movement's fighters had no involvement and said the movement condemned any such untargeted attacks that caused civilian casualties.
The explosion, one of the deadliest in Kabul and coming at the start of the holy month of Ramadan, occurred during the morning rush hour in the city centre, near the presidential palace and foreign embassies.
The victims appear mainly to have been Afghan civilians.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None