- Title: A "major blow" if Trump pulls U.S. out of climate deal- Greenpeace
- Date: 31st May 2017
- Summary: AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS (MAY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) GREENPEACE OFFICE SIGN READING: GREENPEACE GREENPEACE CLIMATE AND ENERGY CAMPAIGNER, FAIZA OULAHSEN, WALKING IN OFFICE (SOUNDBITE) (English) GREENPEACE CLIMATE AND ENERGY CAMPAIGNER, FAIZA OULAHSEN, SAYING: "There has been no official statement from the White House, but if it is true, a global leader like the U.S. pulling out of Paris agreement is bad news, it's definitely a bad news. I think it's a major blow to citizens, organisations and corporations that are deeply concerned about climate change, especially the ones in the U.S. However, I have to say it's not the end of the world. As we have seen from the moment (U.S.) President (Donald) Trump got elected back in November, many countries including Europe, China, India, also Japan have confirmed their commitment to the Paris agreement, and they did that recently, at the G7 (summit) and yesterday also when India met with Germany they reconfirmed their commitment to the Paris agreement, and as you can see there is this transition towards cleaner and renewable energy taking place and it's real and it's happening and it's something that Trump may considerably slow down but it's not a development that he can stop." GREENPEACE ENTRANCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) GREENPEACE CLIMATE AND ENERGY CAMPAIGNER, FAIZA OULAHSEN, SAYING: "If you look at the facts, the U.S. is responsible for 15 percent of the global emissions. That means that the rest of the world is responsible for 85 percent of all the emissions being emitted into the atmosphere. That means that if all the other countries remain committed, which does seem to be the case, I think if they stick together and step up their climate action that can really make a difference. And like I said, if you look at the U.S., the Trump administration may pull out now, if we can believe the sources, but if you look at the U.S. itself, you see a lot of citizens, a lot of corporations, cities, but including states, saying, 'Wait a second, but we are deeply concerned about climate change.'" ENTRANCE TO GREENPEACE WITH SIGN AND PARKED BICYCLES
- Embargoed: 14th June 2017 15:16
- Keywords: Trump climate change Paris COP21 accord. energy global warming environment
- Location: AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
- City: AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
- Country: Netherlands
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J66NUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Any decision by President Donald Trump to pull out of the Paris climate agreement would be a "major blow", Greenpeace said on Wednesday (May 31) as a source briefed on his decision told Reuters he planned to pull the U.S. out of the pact.
Trump had vowed during his campaign to "cancel" the Paris deal within 100 days of becoming president, as part of an effort to bolster U.S. oil and coal industries.
Greenpeace said retracting the U.S. commitment to the Paris accord would be "bad news" and a "major blow to citizens, organisations and corporations that are deeply concerned about climate change".
But climate and energy campaigner Faiza Oulahsen said such a withdrawal would not be "the end of the world" because many other countries such as members of the European Union, China and India have reaffirmed their commitment, and even U.S. cities and states have expressed a desire to address climate change.
The accord, agreed on by nearly 200 countries in Paris in 2015, aims to limit planetary warming in part by slashing carbon dioxide and other emissions from the burning of fossil fuels. Under the pact, the United States committed to reducing its emissions by 26 to 28 percent from 2005 levels by 2025.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None