- Title: Iraqi forces pound last Islamic State-held enclave in Mosul
- Date: 31st May 2017
- Summary: AL-ZINJILI DISTRICT, WESTERN MOSUL, IRAQ (MAY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) MEMBERS OF IRAQI FORCES' RAPID RESPONSE DIVISION FIRING MORTARS VARIOUS MORTARS BEING FIRED MEMBER OF RAPID RESPONSE DIVISION CARRYING MORTAR SHELL ON SHOULDER AND WALKING TO LOAD IT INTO LAUNCHER MEMBER OF RAPID RESPONSE DIVISION OPENING BOX WITH KNIFE RAPID RESPONSE MEMBER CLEANING BARREL OF LAUNCHER (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COMMANDER OF RAPID RESPONSE DIVISION'S 1ST BRIGADE, COLONEL FALAH LOBIDAN, SAYING: "They (Islamic State) are herding children and women in one house and then ring it with explosives and wait for us to bomb the area and cause casualties among children and women. Thanks God, we evacuated 150 families yesterday and today including those from Al-Zinjili district and those who have fled the Old City towards Al-Zinjili district." VARIOUS OF CIVILIANS FLEEING DISTRICT, CARRYING BELONGINGS, PUSHING CARTS CIVILIANS WALKING BETWEEN HEAPS OF RUBBLE OF DEMOLISHED HOUSES WOMAN AND CHILDREN RUNNING ALONG STREET HEAP OF CONCRETE RUBBLE IN STREET / FAMILY WAVING WHITE FLAG WALKING AT FAR END OF STREET
- Embargoed: 14th June 2017 15:34
- Keywords: Western Mosul fighting Iraqi forces Islamic States Al-Zinjili
- Location: AL-ZINJILI DISTTRICT, WESTERN MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: AL-ZINJILI DISTTRICT, WESTERN MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J66GQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Iraq'i forces on Wednesday (May 31) shelled Islamic State's positions in Mosul's western district of al-Zinjili with mortars as part of an operation to capture the militants' last held enclave in Mosul, a military statement said.
The enclave includes the Old City centre and three adjacent districts along the western bank of the Tigris river.
The U.S.-backed offensive in Mosul, now in its eighth month, has taken longer than planned as the militants are dug in among civilians.
The push inside the Old City coincides with the start of the holy fasting month of Ramadan. The offensive's prime target is the medieval al-Nuri mosque with its landmark leaning minaret, where Islamic State's black flag has been flying since mid-2014.
Iraqi armed forces hope to capture the mosque - where Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi declared a "caliphate" over Iraq and Syria three years ago - in the next few days.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None