- Title: Trump pulling U.S. out of Paris climate deal -Axios report
- Date: 31st May 2017
- Summary: PERRY COUNTY, KENTUCKY, UNITED STATES (FILE - OCTOBER 20, 2016) (REUTERS) PILE OF COAL AT PINE BRANCH'S EAST LONG FORK MINE, BEING SCOOPED BY A LOADER TRUCK WORKER OPERATING LOADER LOADER DUMPING COAL INTO TRUCK WIDE OF EAST LONG FORK MINE
- Embargoed: 14th June 2017 13:44
- Keywords: Climate change Paris Accord Trump White House green
- Location: TAORMINA, ITALY/ PERRY COUNTY, KENTUCKY/ WASHINGTON, D.C./ FLORENCE, ARIZONA/ CUMBERLAND, TENNESSEE/ LE BOURGET, FRANCE
- City: TAORMINA, ITALY/ PERRY COUNTY, KENTUCKY/ WASHINGTON, D.C./ FLORENCE, ARIZONA/ CUMBERLAND, TENNESSEE/ LE BOURGET, FRANCE
- Country: USA
- Topics: Environment,Climate Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026J661QF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: U.S. President Donald Trump has decided to withdraw from the Paris climate accord, Axios news outlet reported on Wednesday (May 31), citing two unidentified sources with direct knowledge of the decision.
Trump, who has previously called global warming a hoax, refused to endorse the landmark climate change accord at a summit of the G7 group of wealthy nations on Saturday, saying he needed more time to decide. He then tweeted that he would make an announcement this week.
Fox News also cited an unidentified source confirming the pullout.
The decision will put the United States in league with Syria and Nicaragua as the world's only non-participants in the Paris Climate Agreement. It could have sweeping implications for the deal, which relies heavily on the commitment of big polluter nations to reduce emissions of gases scientists blame for sea level rise, droughts and more frequent violent storms.
The accord, agreed on by nearly 200 countries in Paris in 2015, aims to limit planetary warming in part by slashing carbon dioxide and other emissions from the burning of fossil fuels. Under the pact, the United States committed to reducing its emissions by 26 to 28 percent from 2005 levels by 2025.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None