- Title: Frankfurt should get EU bank supervisor - Merkel
- Date: 31st May 2017
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (MAY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** GERMAN CHANCELLOR ANGELA MERKEL WALKING TO PODIUM VARIOUS OF AUDIENCE (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "A secondary aspect is that all the EU agencies (in the UK) will move. I have heard you speaking about the Apothekebank, and the European Medicines Agency will move for example - a very desirable institution which many European countries are competing for. The same is true of the European banking supervisor, which we also feel predestined to host... because with Frankfurt, we already have a proper centre." MERKEL SPEAKING MERKEL'S HANDS (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "Great Britain, Great Britain is a friend. The prime minister has said more than once: we are leaving the European Union, but we will remain part of Europe. This is the spirit in which we want to conduct the negotiations. On the other hand, the fact that we have fundamental freedoms in the EU: the freedom of movement of people, goods and services, all that comes with conditions. It can't be that you can ignore one of the fundamental freedoms and you don't notice any difference elsewhere. So leaving the EU has a price. Great Britain's exit will not make things better for anyone." MERKEL SPEAKING SHOES/AUDIENCE (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN CHANCELLOR, ANGELA MERKEL, SAYING: "Finding a smart political path will be our biggest challenge. At the moment we are right at the beginning of the negotiations and our first priority will be the rights of the citizens, EU citizens living in Great Britain and Britons living in EU countries, so that we can give them some level of certainty." MERKEL ON STAGE MERKEL LEAVING STAGE
- Embargoed: 14th June 2017 16:18
- Keywords: European Banking Authority serious financial centre Frankfurt Brexit has a price certainty for EU citizens partner and friend
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: European Union,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J655E5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Germany feels Frankfurt is entitled to host the European Banking Authority after it leaves London as part of Britain's EU withdrawal, because it is already a serious financial centre, Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Wednesday (May 31).
"(We feel) predestined to host the European banking supervisor because with Frankfurt, we already have a proper centre," Merkel told a banking conference in Berlin.
Merkel repeated that her priority in Brexit negotiations was to achieve certainty for EU citizens stranded in Britain and Britons in the EU after Brexit, stressing that Britain's withdrawal process would be "endlessly complex".
She reiterated that Germany wanted Britain to remain a close ally after Brexit, but leaving the European Union would have its price.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None