- Title: Storm wrecks Rohingya refugee camp in Bangladesh
- Date: 31st May 2017
- Summary: COX'S BAZAR, BANGLADESH (MAY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MYANMAR ROHINGYA REFUGEES WALKING FROM CAMPS TO AID CENTRE TO COLLECT RELIEF GOODS VARIOUS OF PARTS OF TINNED SHELTERS DESTROYED BY CYCLONE CHILDREN PASSING BY DESTROYED TIN SHEETS PILE OF DESTROYED TIN SHEETS VARIOUS OF REFUGEES CROWDED AT AID CENTRE VOLUNTEER DISTRIBUTING BOXES WITH RELIEF GOODS REFUGEES CARRYING AID PACKAGES OLD WOMAN QUEUING AT AID CENTRE MAN COLLECTING PLASTIC CLOTH AND ROPE NEEDED TO MAKE NEW TENT PILE OF PLASTIC CLOTHS WOMAN COLLECTING PLASTIC CLOTH AND ROPE SOUNDBITE (Bengali) ELDERLY WOMAN, SHAHIDA BEGUM, SAYING: "The yesterday's storm destroyed my home, the roof flew away. I have no place to live now, I have come here to collect some relief goods to survive." VOLUNTEER DISTRIBUTING BOXES WITH RELIEF GOODS REFUGEES CARRYING AID BOXES VOLUNTEER DISTRIBUTING BOXES WITH RELIEF GOODS BOX WITH HIGH ENERGY BISCUITS VOLUNTEER DISTRIBUTING BOXES WITH RELIEF GOODS VARIOUS OF DEVASTATED BALUKHALI CAMP MAN FIXING ROOF IN HIS HOUSE FAMILY MEMBERS STANDING INSIDE HOUSE WITHOUT ROOF MAN FIXING ROOF IN HIS HOUSE WOMAN FOLDING CLOTHES, BOY CRYING BOY CRYING DEVASTATED BALUKHALI CAMP VARIOUS OF DEVASTATED HOUSES SOUNDBITE (Bengali) ELDERLY MAN, ABUL KASHEM, SAYING: "Yesterday the storm destroyed my house, my son and daughter were injured, they are in a hospital. I was also injured, the roof has fallen on my chest. Then I have taken some medicines and now I don't have any food and no money to repair my house." DEVASTATED HOUSE FAMILY SITTING IN DESTROYED HOUSE GIRL LOOKING AT CAMERA BOY FIXING ROOF SIGN READING (English): "PRIMARY HEALTH CARE. INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR MIGRATION (IOM)" ROOF OF MOSQUE MADE OF TIN SHEETS LYING ON GROUND MUSLIM DEVOTEES PRAYING IN DESTROYED MOSQUE DEVASTATED BALUKHALI CAMP VARIOUS OF MEN FIXING HOUSES WOMAN CARRYING BOX OF BISCUITS / DEVASTATED BALUKHALI CAMP
- Embargoed: 14th June 2017 14:42
- Keywords: Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh cyclone Mora Cox's Bazar
- Location: COXâ€™S BAZAR, BANGLADESH
- City: COXâ€™S BAZAR, BANGLADESH
- Country: Bangladesh
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J65MPZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of Rohingya Muslims from Myanmar who had taken refuge from violence at home at refugee camps in Bangladesh were left homeless on Wednesday (May 31) after a cyclone flattened their makeshift shelters a day earlier.
Cyclone Mora struck the island of Saint Martin and Teknaf in the coastal Bangladeshi district of Cox's Bazar destroying almost all the 10,000 thatched huts in the Balukhali and Kutupalong camps.
At least seven people were killed and 50 injured by the cyclone in the Cox's Bazar district, a sliver of land in southeast Bangladesh bordering Myanmar, according to local authorities who said some 15,000 houses had been destroyed in the area.
Several Rohingya refugees were among the injured.
Authorities in Cox's Bazar and neighboring Chittagong district evacuated 350,000 people from low-lying areas before the storm roared in from the Bay of Bengal on Tuesday.
But most Rohingyas remained in their flimsy shelters in the camps when the storm struck, with priority given to evacuating only the most vulnerable, like heavily pregnant women.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None