- Title: Paris' Eiffel Tower lights go out in honour of Kabul blast victims
- Date: 31st May 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MAY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) EIFFEL TOWER BY NIGHT, LIGHTS ON / TRAFFIC MORE OF EIFFEL TOWER LIT UP EIFFEL TOWER LIGHTS SWITCHING OFF / EIFFEL TOWER IN DARKNESS
- Embargoed: 14th June 2017 23:04
- Keywords: Afghanista blast eiffel tower lights off paris kabul
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J67S5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Lights were switched off at Paris' Eiffel Tower just before midnight (2200GMT) on Wednesday (May 31) in honour of the victims of a truck bomb in Kabul.
A powerful bomb hidden in a sewage tanker exploded in the morning rush hour in the centre of Kabul, killing at least 80 people, wounding hundreds more and damaging embassy buildings in the Afghan capital's unofficial "Green Zone".
The victims of the explosion at a busy intersection appeared mainly to have been Afghan civilians on their way to work or school, including office workers whose nearby buildings did not have the protection of the blast walls that fortify the zone.
The blast, at the start of the holy month of Ramadan, was one of the deadliest seen in Kabul, Deputy Interior Minister Murad Ali said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None