- Title: Stokes likely to bowl against Bangladesh, says England's captain Morgan
- Date: 31st May 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (MAY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) CLOSE OF HOARDINGS AT THE OVAL CRICKET GROUND READING (English): "THE OVAL. ENGLAND AND WALES 2017. ICC CHAMPIONS TROPHY" STADIUM SEATS / ENGLAND CRICKET TEAM PRACTICE SPINNER MOEEN ALI BOWLING IN NETS JOE ROOT BATTING WIDE OF PRACTICE BOWLERS BATSMEN IN NETS EOIN MORGAN BATTING IN NET (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND CAPTAIN, EOIN MORGAN, SAYING: "Chris Woakes is 100 percent fit, he has come through the last two or three days really well. Ben Stokes has had a little bowl today, we will see how he pulls up tomorrow to see how much he will bowl, but I certainly see him bowling." ENGLAND PLAYERS DURING CATCHING DRILL ALI (LEFT), BEN STOKES (CENTRE) AND JOE ROOT (RIGHT) DURING CATCHING DRILL COACH HITTING BALL ALI, STOKES AND ROOT REACTING COACH TREVOR BAYLISS HITTING BALL (SOUNDBITE) (English) ENGLAND CAPTAIN, EOIN MORGAN, SAYING: "It's very important, particularly given that this competition is very unforgiving, you pretty much need to win every game in order to guarantee a good run throughout the tournament. I think that's exciting within itself. We need to bring our 'A' game if we're going to win this trophy and if at the end of it we are holding the trophy I think we'll have played really well." WIDE OF FIELDING PRACTICE STOKES CATCHING AND THROWING BALL VARIOUS OF BANGLADESH CAPTAIN MASHRAFE MORTAZA DURING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) BANGLADESH CAPTAIN, MASHRAFE MORTAZA, SAYING: "There will be a lot of pressure but I think we can cope. Also if you go back to the England side I think they will also feel more pressure than us because they want the trophy, especially with this happening in their home. With both sides there is a little bit of pressure but who can cope they will perform the best." CATCHING DRILL VARIOUS OF ENGLAND PLAYERS TRAINING
- Embargoed: 14th June 2017 15:15
- Keywords: Cricket England Bangladesh Eoin Morgan Mashrafe Mortaza Ben Stokes Champions Trophy
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Cricket,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J66CSF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Eoin Morgan expects Ben Stokes to feature in England's bowling attack when they face Bangladesh in their opening Champions Trophy group game on Thursday (June 1), however a late fitness test will dictate how many overs he will have to bowl.
England's captain Morgan spoke to reporters at London's Oval ground on Wednesday (May 31) as his players were put through their paces in preparation for the game.
Morgan's team have been transformed since their dismal World Cup performance two years ago, playing a vibrant and aggressive brand of cricket that should make them hard to beat in their own conditions.
England have never won a global 50-over tournament, but they will not get a better chance to end their long wait than in this year's Champions Trophy on home soil.
However Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Mortaza suggested that the pressure on the hosts to perform well on home soil may offer his side an edge when the teams meet.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None