- Title: Chilean police clash with protesting students
- Date: 1st June 2017
- Summary: SANTIAGO, CHILE (JUNE 1, 2017) (REUTERS) STUDENT PROTESTER HITTING AN ARMOURED VEHICLE WITH A FLAG ARMOURED VEHICLE SPRAYING TEAR GAS AT PROTESTERS PROTESTER THROWING OBJECT AT POLICE IN RIOT GEAR PROTESTER TRYING TO RAISE FENCING TO CREATE BARRICADE, RUNNING AS ARMOURED VEHICLE APPROACHES PROTESTER THROWING OBJECT AT ARMOURED VEHICLE GENERAL VIEW OF PROTESTERS RUNNING, POLICE IN RIOT GEAR MOVING BACKWARDS IN FORMATION, FIRE ON SIDE OF ROAD, A DOG RUNNING INTO SCENE ARMOURED VEHICLE LAUNCHING WATER CANNON PROTESTER THROWING METAL FENCING TOWARDS ARMOURED VEHICLES WATER CANNON BEING LAUNCHED AT PROTESTERS PROTESTERS PUSHING OVER METAL FENCING, DOGS IN THE ROAD BETWEEN PROTESTS WATER CANON, PROTESTERS KICKING ARMOURED VEHICLE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS PUSHING OVER METAL FENCES, THROWING OBJECTS AT ARMOURED VEHICLE, DOGS PUSHED OVER BY WATER CANON VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS AMID TEAR GAS GENERAL VIEW OF STUDENTS MARCHING WITH BANNER STUDENTS MARCHING
- Embargoed: 15th June 2017 17:55
- Keywords: clashes protests students Chile
- Location: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- City: SANTIAGO, CHILE
- Country: Chile
- Topics: Education,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JG66V7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Demonstrators clashed with police in Santiago on Thursday (June 1) during a student-led march for better education reform.
Led by the Chilean Students' Union (Confech) protesters came together to protest the closure of the Arcis University, and the reject reform bills being discussed in Congress.
Police in armoured vehicles sprayed tear gas and water cannon at demonstrators, many of whom fired back throwing rocks, sticks and pushing metal fences in the road as barricades.
For years, Chileans have been protesting for increased spending on education and against education reform which would increase private involvement in education. In May students marched under the banner "End debt," part of a demand to call for debt forgiveness for students who owe to the CAE credit system used in Chile.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None