- Title: Security increased outside Manila resort after suspected armed robbery
- Date: 1st June 2017
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (JUNE 2, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ARMOURED PERSONNEL CARRIER ON STANDBY OUTSIDE HOTEL MEN SITTING ON PAVEMENT/MEN STANDING POLICE VEHICLES ON STANDBY OUTSIDE HOTEL VARIOUS OF POLICE ON STANDBY ARMED ARMY PERSONNEL WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) RESORTS WORLD MANILA CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER, STEPHEN REILLY, SAYING: "At the moment we only know of one suspect. Their affiliation, their identity is not known at this time." REILLY SPEAKING TO REPORTERS (SOUNDBITE) (English) RESORTS WORLD MANILA CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER, STEPHEN REILLY, SAYING: "We believe that our security measures were enough. They will be reviewed. At this time we have more important things to look at and that's the security of our staff and the patrons of the building." AMBULANCE ON STANDBY POLICE ON STANDBY FIRE ENGINE FLASHING LIGHTS VARIOUS OF EMERGENCY VEHICLES STANDBY OUTSIDE HOTEL
- Embargoed: 15th June 2017 22:18
- Keywords: security resort gunfire Philippines Manila
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JG7OLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Security was increased outside a Manila resort and casino on Friday (June 2) after a suspected armed robbery in the early hours of the morning.
A gunman burst into Resorts World, fired shots and set gaming tables alight in the Philippine capital, sowing panic in a country on high alert after martial law was declared in the south, but police said the motive was likely robbery.
Chief Operating Officer of the resort, Stephen Reilly, told reporters that authorities were searching for one suspect.
Medical officials said at least 25 people were hurt, some seriously, as they rushed to escape.
The local Pasay Chapter of the Philippine Red Cross said most of the patients they were treating had suffered the effects of smoke inhalation and some had injuries such as fractures, adding none had gunshot wounds.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None