- Title: Venezuelan FM Delcy Rodriguez lashes out at OAS member countries
- Date: 1st June 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (JUNE 1, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF VENEZUELAN FOREIGN MINISTRY VENEZUELAN FOREIGN MINSTER DELCY RODRIGUEZ ENTERING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DELCY RODRIGUEZ, VENEZUELAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SAYING: "And to the group of obsessed, blind and deaf, we call on them to desist in this plan to intervene in our motherland because it is very serious, an intervention has never brought the people any benefit. History and imperialist interventions has proven this-- and this is what this group of defeated faces wants for our country." RODRIGUEZ SPEAKING DURING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DELCY RODRIGUEZ, VENEZUELAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SAYING: "Has he no shame, the Mexican foreign minister (Luis Videgaray)? I think he is playing a role. I think he's carrying out a mandate. I don't know what they're going to pay him. I don't know what they've offered him in exchange. But one really must be very shameless to stand there and say what he has said about Venezuela without turning to see the reality of his country." AUDIENCE DURING NEWS CONFERENCE/CAMERAMAN (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DELCY RODRIGUEZ, VENEZUELAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SAYING: "Among those faces, by the way, was another of the strategists in this plan of intervention and tutelage for Venezuela, the foreign minister who is no longer a foreign minister of Argentina (Susana Malcorra) who entered her charge with a scandal and is leaving with more scandal. They say that she left the meeting through the back door, she wasn't seen and was completely out of realm because, faced with the mandate they had to fulfil, inexorably, a moral wall was lifted reminding her of the norms of international law." RODRIGUEZ DURING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DELCY RODRIGUEZ, VENEZUELAN FOREIGN MINISTER, SAYING: "But what can Brazil say? Their de facto president (referring to President Michel Temer) does not even have 5% popularity in his country? Or what can President (Enrique) Pena Nieto say, the president of Mexico, whose acceptance rate, popularity rating does not even reach 11%? Stop with the twofold posturing, the two-faced morality of bias against Venezuela." RODRIGUEZ FINISHING NEWS CONFERENCE
- Embargoed: 15th June 2017 20:36
- Keywords: Videgaray Malcorra Rodriguez
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JG739J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Venezuelan Foreign Minister Delcy Rodriguez lashed out on Thursday (June 1) at the presidents and foreign ministers of Mexico, Colombia and Brazil after the three countries supported a measure at an Organization of American States foreign ministers' meeting on the crisis in Venezuela.
Rodriguez accused Mexican Foreign Minister Luis Videgaray of turning a blind eye to crime in Mexico, where international human rights organizations accuse police, soldiers and authorities of working with drug cartels to cover up murders.
Saying they had no right to criticize democracy in Venezuela, where the opposition has pushed for a recall election of Maduro, Rodriguez pointed out that Brazilian President Michel Temer and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto are deeply unpopular.
The much-anticipated Wednesday OAS meeting was eventually suspended to give delegates more time to hash out differences between two possible resolutions.
The resolution backed by Brazil, Colombia and Mexico sought to form a four-nation group to accompany Venezuela on negotiations between Maduro's government and the opposition. The other resolution, backed by the Bahamas and other Caricom nations, stressed non-intervention in the crisis.
Venezuela announced its withdrawal from the OAS in anticipation of the meeting which ministers said would reconvene before the June 19-21 General Assembly in Cancun, Mexico.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None