- Title: Ex-FBI chief Comey to testify next week in Russia probe
- Date: 1st June 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (MAY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (English) U.S. PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP SAYING: "Then he had the very poor performance on Wednesday that was a poor, poor performance, so poor in fact that I believe and you'd have to ask him, because I don't like to speak for other people, but I believe that's why the deputy attorney general went out and wrote his very, very strong letter."
- Embargoed: 15th June 2017 20:07
- Keywords: Hillary Clinton FBI Donald Trump election James Comey Vladimir Putin Russia Federal Bureau of Investigation email
- Location: DENVER, COLORADO/LAS VEGAS, NEVADA/ DAYTONA, FLORIDA/MCLEAN, VIRGINIA/WASHINGTON D.C., UNITED STATES; VALLETTA, MALTA
- City: DENVER, COLORADO/LAS VEGAS, NEVADA/ DAYTONA, FLORIDA/MCLEAN, VIRGINIA/WASHINGTON D.C., UNITED STATES; VALLETTA, MALTA
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA00O6JGOV9J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Former FBI Director James Comey will testify next Thursday (June 8) before a U.S. Senate panel investigating Russia's alleged meddling in the 2016 U.S. election, in a hearing that could be difficult for President Donald Trump.
In his first public appearance since Trump fired him on May 9, Comey will address the Senate Intelligence Committee on June 8. He will speak at both an open session and behind closed doors, which would allow him to discuss classified information, the committee said.
Allegations that Russia may have helped Trump win the 2016 presidential election and questions about possible collusion by members of his campaign are being investigated by several U.S. congressional committees as well as by the Justice Department.
Comey is expected to be asked about conversations in which Trump reportedly pressured him to drop an investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn, one of several Trump associates who are drawing scrutiny about Russia and last year's U.S. election.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None