- Title: Tropical Storm Beatriz nears Mexico's Pacific coast, kills at least 2
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: PUERTO ESCONDIDO, OAXACA, MEXICO (JUNE 1, 2017) (REUTERS) BOATS IN ROUGH SEA WATER BOATS IN SEA, WATER HITS ROCKS FISHERMEN ON BOAT VARIOUS OF BOATS ON BEACH JUCHITAN, OAXACA, MEXICO (JUNE 2, 2017) (REUTERS) TRUCK ARRIVING ON BRIDGE TO REMOVE DEBRIS WORKERS LOOKING ON AS HEAVY MACHINERY IS USED TO REMOVE DEBRIS VEHICLES IN FLOOD WATER (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DIRECTOR OF ROADS AND AIRSTRIPS IN OAXACA, FRANCISCO GARCIA LOPEZ, SAYING: "The Tequisistlan Bridge collapsed at around five o'clock in the morning. Access was blocked for safety of those who transit in that area and half of the bridge collapsed and that led to authorities staying on alert so that nobody dares to cross." RESIDENTS NEXT TO FALLEN TREE ON ROAD POLICE AND CIVIL PROTECTION VEHICLES MONITORING ROADS VEHICLES IN FLOODED STREETS RESIDENTS WALKING IN FLOODED STREETS VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS PLACING BELONGINGS INTO BACK OF PICK-UP VEHICLE RESIDENTS STANDING ON BRIDGE OVER SWOLLEN RIVER WATERS HEAVY MACHINERY REMOVING DEBRIS FROM RIVER MORE OF RESIDENTS IN FLOODED STREET PUERTO ESCONDIDO, OAXACA, MEXICO (JUNE 1, 2017) (REUTERS) SWOLLEN RIVER WATERS AFTER HEAVY RAINFALL
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 20:32
- Keywords: U.S. National Hurricane Center Pacific Coast Tropical Storm Beatriz
- Location: JUCHITAN AND PUERTO ESCONDIDO, OAXACA, MEXICO
- City: JUCHITAN AND PUERTO ESCONDIDO, OAXACA, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Wind/Hurricane/Typhoons/Tornadoes
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JL6TKZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Tropical Storm Beatriz approached Mexico's Pacific coast on Thursday (June 1), the U.S. National Hurricane Centre said, dumping heavy rains that resulted in at least two deaths, caused landslides and forced road closures and flight cancellations.
The emergency services in the southwestern state of Oaxaca said a landslide in the village of San Marcial Ozolotepec buried some houses and rescuers had found one dead boy, while one more was missing, presumed dead. Another woman was killed by a landslide in the village of San Carlos Yautepec, the emergency services added.
In the Isthmus of Tehuantepec, the narrowest point between the Pacific Ocean and the Gulf of Mexico, the Tequisistlan Bridge that communicates the town with the city of Oaxaca, partly collapsed. Traffic has been suspended. Troops are assisting the population.
The NHC said the storm was about 15 miles (24 km) south of the town of Puerto Angel, on Mexico's southwestern Pacific coast, blowing maximum sustained winds of 45 miles per hour (72 kmh). The storm was moving northeast at 5 miles per hour, the NHC added.
Beatriz was expected to weaken once it hit land in southwestern Mexico on Thursday evening, the NHC added, and peter out over the mountainous region on Friday. Nonetheless, the NHC also expected it to produce "life-threatening flash floods and mudslides."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None