- Title: Protest demanding activist's release continues in Morocco
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: AL-HOCEIMA, MOROCCO (JUNE 1, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** TOP SHOT OF HUNDREDS GATHERED IN NORTHERN CITY OF AL-HOCEIMA PROTESTERS HOLDING PHONES IN HANDS WITH FLASHLIGHT ON CHANTING IN (Arabic): "The people demand the release of the detainee" PROTESTERS CHANTING / PROTESTER WAVING AMAZIGH FLAG MORE OR PROTESTERS SEEN WITH AMAZIGH FLAG CHANTING AND HOLDING UP POSTERS OF ZEFZAFI PROTESTERS CHANTING 'VIVA AL-HOCEIMA' PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER READING IN (Arabic): 'Are you a government, or a gang? Long live the countryside but not who betrayed it" SHOT OF PROTESTS
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 02:22
- Keywords: activist protests Morocco
- Location: AL-HOCEIMA, MOROCCO
- City: AL-HOCEIMA, MOROCCO
- Country: Morocco
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JL2W5J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hundreds gathered in Morocco's northern city of Al-Hoceima on Thursday (June 1) for the fourth consecutive day, demanding the release of activist Nasser Zefzafi, who was arrested earlier this week.
Zefzafi, who had been leading months of protests against corruption and official abuses, was arrested on Monday (May 29) and now faces charges of "threatening national security" according to State news agency MAP.
Protests are rare in Morocco but tensions have been simmering in Zefzafi's home city of Al-Hoceima since October when a fishmonger died after being crushed inside a garbage truck while trying to save his fish confiscated by police.
Authorities said they arrested 20 other demonstrators with Zefzafi, but activists say 28 have been detained.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None