- Title: Angry at truck bomb blast Afghan protesters clash with police
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF POLICE FIRING INTO THE AIR/BLOOD STAIN ON STREET
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 10:08
- Keywords: Kabul attack clash rally protest Afghanistan
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0026JL5A9X
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of chanting Afghan protesters demanded the resignation of President Ashraf Ghani's government on Friday (June 2) following this week's devastating truck bomb attack in Kabul, squaring off against police who fired into the air to keep them back.
More than 1,000 demonstrators, many carrying pictures of victims, rallied near the site of Wednesday's (May 31) blast, which killed more than 80 people and wounded 460, holding Ghani and Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah responsible.
Police in riot gear used water cannon and tear gas to block the protesters, many throwing stones, from gaining access to the road leading to the presidential palace, occasionally firing automatic weapons into the air.
Wednesday's attack, at the start of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, was one of the worst in Kabul since the U.S.-led campaign to topple the Taliban in 2001 and underlined the growing violence across much of the country.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None