- Title: EU, China top officials meet, sign series of agreements
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (JUNE 1, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF EU COUNCIL BUILDING
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 13:33
- Keywords: Li Tusk Juncker agreements signature China EU
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036JL5GLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: China and the European Union signed a series of agreements at a summit on Friday (June 2), a day after President Donald Trump announced a U.S. withdrawal from the Paris climate pact, with China emerging as Europe's unlikely partner in areas from free trade to security.
One of the agreements sought to 'enhance EU-China Trade Security,' while EU competition chief Margrethe Vestager and the NDRC chairman He Lifeng pledged to continue dialogue on state aid and fair competition.
EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom and Chinese Trade Minister Zhong Shan signed a deal aimed at increasing cooperation on intellectual property rights.
While China needs EU technical know-how to reduce the pollution blighting its cities, the EU is looking to Beijing to take action against emissions blamed for increased droughts, rising seas and other effects of climate change.
China overtook the United States as the world's biggest emitter of greenhouse gases in 2007.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None