- Title: Tibetans, Uighurs, NGOs protest China's human rights record during Brussels visit
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM (JUNE 2, 2017) (REUTERS) PROTESTERS AND THEIR FLAGS AT PEDESTRIAN CROSSING, POLICE VEHICLES PROTEST, POLICE VAN, SINGING HEARD
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 12:58
- Keywords: human rights Amnesty protest Uighur Tibet EU China
- Location: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- City: BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
- Country: Belgium
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JL5FT3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Tibetans and Uighurs in Brussels demonstrated on Friday (June 2), calling for human rights during Chinese Prime Minister Li Keqiang's visit.
Tibet and the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region are the two westernmost regions of China, where ethnic minority Chinese citizens who largely do not support the government's policies reside.
The minority residents allege systematic suppression of their rights, including the freedom of religion.
The Tibetans are largely Buddhist, while Uighurs are largely Muslim. Both regions have considerable independence movements and a long lists of historic grievances, such as the 1995 selection process of the 11th Panchen Lama in Tibet, a senior spiritual leader second only to the Dalai Lama.
Some Tibetans believe that the real Panchen Lama is not the one China chose, but a boy that the Dalai Lama named as Panchen Lama and who vanished more than two decades ago and now lives in an undisclosed location known only to Chinese authorities.
Xinjiang formally became part of China in 1949, and Tibet has been under Chinese control since 1951, as well as previously in history.
Keqiang is in Brussels for a business summit and meetings with EU and Belgian leaders.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.