- Title: China investigates Japanese citizen for harming national security
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (JUNE 2, 2017) (REUTERS) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN HUA CHUNYING WALKING IN FOR A REGULAR BRIEFING REPORTER WRITING NOTES (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY SPOKESWOMAN, HUA CHUNYING, SAYING: "In May of this year, the relevant Chinese department put under investigation in accordance with the law a Japanese citizen on suspicion of harming China's national security, in accordance with Sino-Japanese consular agreements we immediately notified the relevant consular officials stationed in China." BRIEFING IN PROGRESS EXTERIOR OF THE CHINESE FOREIGN MINISTRY CHINESE NATIONAL FLAG FLYING
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 11:29
- Keywords: security Japan briefing Foreign Ministry China
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JL5BUT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: China said on Friday (June 2) a Japanese citizen was being investigated for harming national security, following a similar case last month in which China said six Japanese were being questioned on suspicion of illegal activity.
In Tokyo, Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said they had been informed by China that the person was a man in his 60s who had been detained in the northeastern Chinese province of Liaoning, which shares a border with nuclear-armed North Korea.
Last month, China said it was investigating six Japanese citizens on suspicion of "illegal activities", after Japanese media reported they may have been suspected of spying.
Relations between China and Japan have been strained for decades by the legacy of Japan's wartime aggression. A maritime territorial dispute over small islands in the East China Sea has in recent years added to the suspicion between the two sides.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None