- Title: Palestinians head to Jerusalem for Ramadan Friday prayers
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: QALANDIA CHECKPOINT NEAR RAMALLAH, WEST BANK (JUNE 2, 2017) (REUTERS) PALESTINIANS WALK TOWARDS ISRAELI ARMY CHECKPOINT ON WAY TO JERUSALEM TO ATTEND PRAYERS ON FIRST FRIDAY OF RAMADAN VARIOUS OF MEN WALKING THROUGH CHECKPOINT VARIOUS OF ISRAELI SECURITY LOOKING ON AT CHECKPOINT VARIOUS OF WOMEN WALKING THROUGH CHECKPOINT SECURITY LOOKING ON MORE OF WOMEN WALKING THROUGH CHECKPOINT FEMALE ISRAELI SOLDIERS CHECKING IDENTITIES AND BAGS OF PALESTINIAN WOMEN WATCH TOWER WOMEN WALKING THROUGH CHECK POINT BETHLEHEM CHECKPOINT, WEST BANK (JUNE 2, 2017) (REUTERS) CHECKPOINT WITH WATCH TOWER WATCH TOWER VARIOUS OF WOMEN WALKING TOWARDS CHECKPOINT WOMEN CROSSING, ISRAELI FEMALE SOLDIER LOOKING ON VARIOUS OF MEN AT CHECKPOINT ISRAELI SECURITY MEN WIDE OF CHECKPOINT JERUSALEM (JUNE 2, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NABLUS GATE TO OLD CITY OF JERUSALEM MUSLIMS ENTERING OLD CITY OF JERUSALEM MUSLIMS GETTING OFF BUS ON WAY TO JERUSALEM OLD CITY ISRAELI SECURITY GUARDING VARIOUS OF ISRAELI CHIEF OF POLICE RONI ALSHEIKH WITH POLICE OFFICERS OUTSIDE OLD CITY MORE OF PEOPLE ENTERING OLD CITY
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 09:08
- Keywords: separation barrier Israel Palestinians Jerusalem shrine al-Aqsa Friday prayers Ramadan
- Location: QALANDIA CHECKPOINT AND BETHLEHEM CHECKPOINT, WEST BANK / JERUSALEM
- City: QALANDIA CHECKPOINT AND BETHLEHEM CHECKPOINT, WEST BANK / JERUSALEM
- Country: Palestinian Territories
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JL3807
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:West Bank Palestinians flocked to Israeli checkpoints on Friday (June 2) to enter Jerusalem where they will attend the first Friday prayers of Ramadan in Al-Aqsa mosque.
Men and women arrived at the Qalandia checkpoint, between the Palestinian city of Ramallah and Jerusalem, where they underwent security checks before entering the holy city. Under an Israeli army watch tower, Bethlehem residents crossed a checkpoint into Jerusalem.
Israeli police beefed up the security presence on the streets of Jerusalem as worshippers began to arrive in the early hours of the morning for prayers at the Noble Sanctuary (al-Haram Ashareef), known to Jews as the Temple Mount, which houses Al-Aqsa Mosque - Islam's third holiest shrine.
Israel has annexed East Jerusalem and its old city since 1967 Middle East War in a move not recognised internationally.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None