- Title: Australia's Turnbull calls for "continued strong engagement" from U.S.
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: HONOUR GUARD STANDING TO ATTENTION VARIOUS OF TURNBULL AND LEE STANDING TURNBULL AND LEE WALKING OFF PODIUM VARIOUS OF TURNBULL INSPECTING GUARD HONOUR GUARDS LOOKING ON/ TURNBULL AND LEE WALKING TURNBULL'S FEET / TURNBULL AND LEE WALKING TURNBULL AND LEE WALKING AWAY
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 08:39
- Keywords: orchid Australian prime minister Malcolm Turnbull Singapore
- Location: SINGAPORE
- City: SINGAPORE
- Country: Singapore
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026JL3ZNP
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull called for "continued strong engagement" from the United States under President Donald Trump on Friday (June 2) on the sidelines of a defence summit in Singapore.
U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Friday the United States remains committed to its Asia-Pacific allies, as he arrived in Singapore for the region's premier defense and security forum, the Shangri-La Dialogue. Mattis, who is making his second visit to the region since he took charge of the Pentagon on Jan. 20, will be looking to articulate a clear U.S. policy for allies in the region and reassuring them.
Turnbull, who is in Singapore on a state visit that coincides with the security talks, also visited the Singapore Botanic Gardens on Friday where he had an orchid named after him.
Called "Aranda Malcolm and Lucy Turnbull", the yellow blooms are a hybrid of the Arachnis hookeriana and Vanda Rockhampton Gold. It is customary for visiting heads of states and celebrities to have orchids named after them. Turnbull joins the likes of Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi and singer Elton John.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.