- Title: Anniversary of Muhammad Ali death nears
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY, UNITED STATES (JUNE 10, 2016) (REUTERS) FLOWER-COVERED HEARSE TURNS INTO CEMETERY ENTRANCE AS FANS APPLAUD AND CHEER LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY, UNITED STATES (JUNE 10, 2016) (REUTERS) INTERIOR OF KFC YUM! CENTER VARIOUS OF FORMER PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON ESCORTING MUHAMMAD ALI'S WIFE LONNIE INTO SERVICE, SHAKING HANDS
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 18:09
- Keywords: Cassius Clay Jr. Parkinson's syndrome
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Boxing,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0076JL73UN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
Saturday (June 3) will mark the one year anniversary of the death of boxing great Muhammad Ali. Born Cassius Clay Jr. in Louisville, Kentucky, Ali will be honored by his hometown with a six-week celebration of his life.
Ali, one of the greatest heavyweights of the 20th century, had long suffered from Parkinson's syndrome which impaired his speech and made the once-graceful athlete almost a prisoner in his own body. He died a day after he was admitted to an Arizona hospital with a respiratory ailment.
A multi-denominational memorial service will take place on Saturday at the Muhammad Ali Center in Louisville which will include blessings from representatives of multiple faiths; remarks from Mayor Greg Fischer about Ali's life, impact, and spirit, musical performances, and a symbolic release of butterflies.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None