- Title: S.African corruption accusations expose ANC split over Zuma
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS GUPTA LEAKS STORIES BEING ACCESSED ON AMABHUNGANE WEBSITE
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 17:01
- Keywords: elections President Jacob Zuma government ANC trust emails leaked Gupta
- Location: JOHANNESBURG AND CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA
- City: JOHANNESBURG AND CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA
- Country: South Africa
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026JL61XJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART AUDIO AS INCOMING
South Africa's ruling African National Congress said on Friday (June 2) it was gravely concerned by leaked documents alleging influence-peddling by friends of President Jacob Zuma, deepening a split in the country's ruling party over its leader.
Some South African media reported on Thursday (June 1) they had access to more than 100,000 leaked documents and emails that showed improper dealings in lucrative government contracts by business friends of Zuma.
The latest allegations of influence-peddling may deepen divisions in the ANC as factions battle for control ahead of a party conference in December where a successor to the beleaguered, scandal-plagued Zuma will be chosen. Zuma can remain as head of state until an election in 2019.
Zuma and the Gupta family, wealthy Indian-born businessmen whose companies have contracts with state-owned firms, have not commented but have denied similar allegations in the past. Reuters could not independently verify the new allegations.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Video restrictions: parts of this video may require additional clearances. Please see ‘Business Notes’ for more information.