- Title: Hundreds of Juventus fans injured in stampede in Turin
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: TURIN, ITALY (JUNE 3, 2017) (REUTERS) CROWD WATCHING CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL ON SCREEN / PORTION OF CROWD RUN INTO OTHER PART OF CROWD IN PANIC SWITCH OF SHOT TO LOOK TO THE RIGHT PAN ROUND TO THE LEFT AS CROWD SURGES AGAIN WOMAN BEING LED AWAY, WIDE OF CROWD WOMAN BEING COMFORTED CROWD SURGING AGAIN FIRE ENGINE DRIVING SLOWLY INTO CROWD
- Embargoed: 17th June 2017 21:39
- Keywords: Champions League final incident Juventus fans Italy Turin
- Location: TURIN, ITALY
- City: TURIN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JQ4LL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of Juventus soccer fans watching the Champions League final in one of Turin's main squares on Saturday (June 3) were injured when loud bangs created a panic and mayhem.
About 400 people were being treated for slight injuries, Italian media reported. About five people were seriously hurt, including a 7-year-old boy who was trampled, Sky TG24 reported.
Thousands of fans had gathered to watch the Champions League final in front of a giant screen in San Carlo Square.
During the second half of the match, which local club Juventus went on to lose 1-4 to Real Madrid, video cameras show a sudden rush in the middle of the crowd that caused a surge that flung people against barriers.
Many fans then began to run out of the centre of the square, screaming in fear.
The panic may been started by the explosion of a loud firecracker that was mistaken for a bomb, a Reuters witness said.
Afterwards shoes and bags littered the ground, people were seen limping and searching desperately for friends and relatives, the witness said.
Police have set up an information point to help people find their loved ones, and they are investigating what caused the panic.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None