- Title: Argentines march to denounce violence against women
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (JUNE 03, 2017) (REUTERS) MEN AND WOMEN TAKING PART IN MASSIVE DEMONSTRATION TO DENOUNCE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN VARIOUS OF PEOPLE MARCHING WITH BANNERS AND SIGNS CLOSE-UP OF A SIGN READING (Spanish) "AN ABSENT STATE IS A FEMICIDE STATE, LEGALIZE ABORTION NOW" VARIOUS MORE OF PEOPLE MARCHING WITH BANNERS AND SIGNS CLOSE-UP OF A SIGN READING (Spanish) "GIRLS ARE WOMEN TOO - NOT ONE MORE - WE WANT THEM ALIVE" VARIOUS MORE OF PEOPLE MARCHING WITH BANNERS AND SIGNS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DEMONSTRATOR AND RAPE SURVIVOR, MARIA SOSA, SAYING: "They're free to do whatever they want to women. They kill them. They could kill you today and nobody would do anything. Or they'll rape you and you you're just left in pieces. And [CRYING] it actually happened to me. I was raped. And I'm certain they're walking free."
- Embargoed: 18th June 2017 00:23
- Keywords: demonstration femicide woman violence Argentina
- Location: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- City: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JQ4Y83
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands took to the streets of Buenos Aires on Saturday (June 3) for the third annual march against gender-based violence.
Thousands of women were joined by men in the peaceful march that looked to call on the government to enact stricter policies to protect women and not allow their attackers to walk free.
Many of the demonstrators carried purple strands of cloth used to symbolize the colour of bruises left on the bodies of woman who have suffered attacks, be it beatings, rape, or murder.
Demonstrators used the hashtag #NiUnaMenos, or #NotOneMore(woman) to promote the movement on social media.
The march went from the Congress Building to the Presidential Palace on Plaza de Mayo in the heart of downtown Buenos Aires.
A national registry by the Supreme Court says 254 women were murdered in Argentina in 2016.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None