- Title: Ukraine mourns late head of Greek Catholic church
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: LVIV, UKRAINE (JUNE 3, 2017) (REUTERS) ST. GEORGE CATHEDRAL CROSS ON TOP OF CATHEDRAL PEOPLE AT MEMORIAL MASS IN CATHEDRAL VARIOUS OF BODY OF CARDINAL LUBOMYR HUSAR IN COFFIN SCOUTS AND NUNS COFFIN PEOPLE LISTENING TO PRIEST UKRAINIAN CATHOLIC ARCHBISHOP SVYATOSLAV SHEVCHUK READING PRAYER TOP SHOT OF SERVICE PEOPLE PRAYING OUTSIDE CATHEDRAL (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) RESIDENT OF CITY OF CHERNIVTSI, LIDIA HAINA, SAYING: "He cared about people and Ukraine. He prayed and hoped. And I know he wanted to see it different, not like it is now. He wanted to see a better Ukraine, a richer one. But he passed away before he saw it the way he pictured it in prayers and dreams. But we hope he will be pleading God to help us to live through this war. And we will pray for his soul. And we will remember him as long as we live ourselves." PEOPLE PRAYING (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) RESIDENT OF LVIV, SAVA GAIDUKIVSKY, SAYING: "He is an example for all of us - an example of fate, an example of love, true love for Ukraine, for the people, especially for the people. He really was as they say our father. I don't know and don't see anybody even close to him!" PRIESTS GIVING COMMUNION TO PEOPLE PEOPLE APPLAUDING WHEN COFFIN PASSES BY VARIOUS OF MILITARY VEHICLE WITH COFFIN MOVING SURROUNDED BY GUARD OF HONOR VARIOUS OF PROCESSION MOVING BY STREETS OF LVIV PEOPLE WATCHING PROCESSION LITTLE GIRL HOLDING CANDLE
- Embargoed: 17th June 2017 15:56
- Keywords: church procession farewell ceremony Ukraine Greek Catholic church Lubomyr Husar
- Location: LVIV, UKRAINE
- City: LVIV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JQ447T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
Thousands of Lviv residents joined a mourning procession on Saturday (June 3) to pay respect to the Catholic spiritual leader, Cardinal Lubomyr Husar, who passed away on May 31 at age of 85.
Cardinal Lubomyr Husar was the Major Archbishop of Ukrainian Greek-Catholic church, one of the largest Eastern churches in full communion with the Holy See.
Believers joined in prayer at the steps of the cathedral and later followed the coffin through Lviv streets.
Husar was born in 1933 in Lviv, which was at that time a Polish city. He fled with his parents during World War II to Austria and then to the United States in 1949.
He was ordained a priest in 1958, and was a pastor of Holy Trinity Ukraine Catholic Church in New York.
After the collapse of the Soviet Union Lubomyr Husar returned to Ukraine and became a key figure in revival of Ukrainian Greek-Catholic church, banned in the USSR by the Communist regime He resigned in 2011 due to ill health but remained one of the most respected spiritual leaders of Ukraine.
The coffin will be transported to Kiev for the believers who live in the Ukrainian capital to pay tribute to the cardinal. The funeral is set for Monday (June 5).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None