- Title: Displaced Iraqis flee Mosul's Old City as fighting intensifies
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: MEN CARRYING WOUNDED MAN IN BED SHEET AND RUNNING ALONG STREET WOUNDED MAN LYING IN BED SHEET / MEN PUTTING HIM ON BACK OF PICKUP TRUCK MAN CARRYING WOUNDED CHILD RUNNING ALONG ROAD
- Embargoed: 17th June 2017 16:53
- Keywords: evacuation Old City Iraq displaced Mosul Zanjili district
- Location: ZANJILI DISTRICT, MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: ZANJILI DISTRICT, MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0026JQ46KN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of families fled Mosul's militant-controlled Zanjili district on Saturday (June 3) as fighting between Iraqi forces of Rapid Response Division and Islamic State intensified.
Carrying their personal belongings, civilians mostly women and children were walking along road littered with damaged and overturned cars and dotted with rubble of destroyed houses.
At least seven civilians were killed and 23 wounded by Islamic State mortar shells as they tried to flee Mosul's militant-controlled Zanjili district on Thursday (June 1), Iraqi police said.
The wounded were taken to a field clinic, a police officer told Reuters, adding that more people could have been killed while trying to flee. They were part of the first group of civilians who have managed to escape.
Zanjili is part of the enclave that remains in the hands of Islamic State in the northern Iraqi city, alongside the Old City centre and the Medical City hospitals complex.
U.S.-backed Iraqi government forces retook eastern Mosul in January and began a new push last week to capture the enclave where about 200,000 people are trapped, regularly dropping leaflets telling families to flee.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None