- Title: Iraqi forces fight Islamic State in western Mosul
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: MEMBER OF RAPID RESPONSE UNIT STANDING BEHIND WALL WHILE HE TRIES TO RESCUE CIVILIAN (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) COMMANDER OF RAPID RESPONSE UNITS 2ND BRIGADE, BRIGADIER GENERAL MAHDI ABBAS, SAYING: "As you know advance is slow in al-Zinjili because of the civilians. Al-Zinjili is their (Islamic state) last enclave in the north and they brought families from southern districts to al-Zinjili. The district is over-populated. One of the tactics used by Daesh (Islamic State) is to put 30 to 40 families in one house and then ring it with explosives and use it as a shield." CLOSE-UP OF MACHINE-GUN IN HAND OF RAPID RESPONSE MEMBER SPENT SHELLS SCATTERED ON GROUND PLUME OF BLACK AND WHITE SMOKE BILLOWING FROM BUILDING
- Embargoed: 17th June 2017 15:41
- Keywords: offensive Islamic State army Mosul Iraq
- Location: MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0036JQ44ZR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC MATERIAL
Iraq's Rapid Response force engaged in fierce fighting with Islamic State militants encamped in Mosul's al-Zanjili district on Saturday (June 3), one of the last three districts held by the group in the city.
Heavy thuds of bombings and crackles of gunfire echoed across the district's empty streets and thick plumes of black and white smoke billowed into the sky during the ongoing assault.
David Eubank, the leader of humanitarian association Free Burma Rangers (FBR) which operates in Iraq as well as Myanmar and Sudan, told Reuters he had seen Islamic State militants shooting civilians that attempted to flee the area.
Zanjili district is part of the enclave that remains in the hands of Islamic State in the northern Iraqi city, alongside the Old City centre and the Medical City hospitals complex.
Iraq's elite Counter Terrorism Service (CTS) units captured the city's Sihha district from Islamic State on Friday (June 2).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None