- Title: At least 12 people killed in blasts near funeral in Afghan capital
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (JUNE 3, 2017) (REUTERS) PEOPLE GATHERED AT SITE OF EXPLOSION WHICH HIT FUNERAL OF VICTIM WHO DIED IN FRIDAY'S (JUNE 2) CLASHES BETWEEN POLICE AND PROTESTERS, DEBRIS SCATTERED ON GROUND PEOPLE STANDING NEXT TO CLOTHES AND FOOTWEAR BLOOD STAIN ON GROUND
- Embargoed: 17th June 2017 13:47
- Keywords: Mohammad Salim Izadyar aftermath protests Afghan police funeral explosions
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Bombing (non-military),Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JQ4093
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS GRAPHIC IMAGES
A series of blasts in Kabul on Saturday (June 3) killed at least 12 people at a funeral for one of the victims of clashes between police and protesters a day before, continuing a wave of violence in the capital since this week's mass truck bomb.
Two witnesses at the scene of the funeral said at least 12 people had been killed. Tolo News TV and other Afghan media reported a toll as high as 18. A further 18 people were reported to have been wounded.
Reuters footage showed the aftermath of the attack. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
The explosions occurred at the funeral for Mohammad Salim Izadyar, the son of the deputy Senate speaker. He died after being seriously injured in clashes during Friday's (June 2) protest.
Demonstrators had been protesting against the government over its security record following the explosion of a huge truck bomb on Wednesday (May 31) that killed more than 80 people and wounded 460.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None