- Title: Mattis presses China on North Korea, South China Sea
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: SINGAPORE (JUNE 3, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** EXTERIOR OF SHANGRI-LA HOTEL, VENUE OF FORUM VEHICLES BEING DIRECTED INTO VENUE POLICEMAN GUIDING VEHICLES ENTRANCE TO VENUE SHANGRI-LA HOTEL SIGN IN MANDARIN EXTERIOR OF SHANGRI-LA HOTEL ENTRANCE, POLICEMAN ON MOTORBIKE SINGAPORE NATIONAL FLAG AND SHANGRI-LA HOTEL FLAG FLYING MATTIS AND SINGAPORE DEFENCE MINISTER NG ENG HEN WALKING IN AND SHAKING HANDS MATTIS AND NG SMILING FOR PHOTOS MATTIS SMILING MATTIS AND NG SMILING, WALKING AWAY
- Embargoed: 17th June 2017 04:21
- Keywords: regional security security forum Asia Mindanao North Korea defence Jim Mattis Shangri-La Dialogue South China Sea Mattis
- Location: SINGAPORE
- City: SINGAPORE
- Country: Singapore
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036JQ3QRR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The United States is encouraged by China's efforts to restrain North Korea but Washington will not accept Beijing's militarization of islands in the South China Sea, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said on Saturday (June 3).
The comments by Mattis, during the annual Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, show how U.S. President Donald Trump's administration is looking to balance working with China to restrain North Korea's advancing missile and nuclear programs while dealing with Beijing's activities in the South China Sea.
Mattis also said the United States welcomed China's economic development, but he anticipated "friction" between the two countries.
He added that "extremist groups" must be defeated not only in Iraq and Syria but also in Southeast Asia, and that the U.S. was working to encourage nations in the region to contribute sufficiently to their own security.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None