- Title: Afghan forces lock down Kabul day after protest clashes
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN (JUNE 3, 2017) (REUTERS) **** WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY **** VARIOUS OF AFGHAN SECURITY FORCES BLOCKED ROADS IN KABUL CITY DAY AFTER PROTEST CLASHES VARIOUS OF RIOT POLICE GUARDING NEAR THE TENT OF PROTESTERS SECURITY STANDING OUTSIDE TENT PROTESTERS GATHERED INSIDE TENT VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS SEATED INSIDE TENT LISTENING TO SPEECHES (SOUNDBITE) (Dari) PROTESTER, MOHAMMMAD HASHIM, SAYING: "Until our demands are responded by the government, we will continue our protest whether it's for one day, one week or a month." PROTESTERS GATHERING AROUND TENT (SOUNDBITE) (English) RESIDENT OF KABUL AND PROTESTER, MANSOR AHMAD BAHRAM, SAYING: "What we want is the international community's pressure like United Nations or other embassiesâ€¦ European Union and everything to put pressure on this government to at least provide security for Afghans. I mean that's the most they are asking they are not asking for anything else." POLICE HUMVEE ON THE STREET GUNNER OF HUMVEE SECURITY PERSONAL ON THE STREET DEPUTY INTERIOR MINISTER MURAD ALI MURAD WALKING INTO CONFERENCE AND SITTING (SOUNDBITE) (Dari) DEPUTY INTERIOR MINISTER, MURAD ALI MURAD; SAYING: "As a result of Friday's protest five people lost their lives and four others have been wounded. Also 19 policemen were also wounded in the protest." CAMERAMAN FILMING THE CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Dari) DEPUTY INTERIOR MINISTER, MURAD ALI MURAD, SAYING: "We ask all the demonstrators that until further notice they should avoid demonstrations. As threats are very high and this issue will create more security concerns for your Afghan forces." LOGO OF AFGHANISTAN FLAG SEAL END OF THE CONFERENCE WITH MURAD ALI WALKING OUT
- Embargoed: 17th June 2017 11:34
- Keywords: police road blocks protesters clashes with security in Afghanistan security in Kabul
- Location: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- City: KABUL, AFGHANISTAN
- Country: Afghanistan
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JQ3P6T
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Afghan authorities will investigate violent clashes that left at least five people dead during an anti-government protest over this week's devastating truck bomb attack in Kabul, the deputy interior minister said on Saturday (June 3).
The rally on Friday (June 2) saw hours of angry confrontation between stone-throwing protesters and police, who fired into the air to drive back crowds trying to cross security cordons and reach the presidential palace.
Streets in the center of the Afghan capital were closed on Saturday as authorities tried to prevent a repeat of the violence, which has heaped pressure on President Ashraf Ghani's government over its inability to ensure security in Kabul.
The demonstration followed the explosion of a huge truck bomb on Wednesday (May 31) that killed more than 80 people and wounded 460 - one of the deadliest attacks seen in Kabul since the U.S.-led campaign that toppled the Islamist Taliban in 2001.
With much of Kabul locked down by security forces, a group of around 200 protesters remained near the blast site in the centre of town, sheltering from the sun in open tents. Otherwise, security authorities in Kabul told people not to attend protests and demonstrations, citing the risk of attacks on large gatherings of people.
Deputy Interior Minister Murad Ali Murad said the attorney general would investigate allegations of violence by police as well as by demonstrators, some of whom appeared to be armed. It would be up to the investigation to determine whether any mistakes had been made by security forces.
Murad updated the death toll from the demonstration to five and said 23 were wounded, mostly members of the security forces.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None