- Title: Japan defence minister backs all US options on N.Korea
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: SINGAPORE (JUNE 3, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SHANGRI-LA HOTEL WHERE SECURITY SUMMIT TAKES PLACE CARS PASSING/ SECURITY PERSONNEL SECURITY PERSONNEL CARRYING RIFLE
- Embargoed: 17th June 2017 05:33
- Keywords: Singapore Sylvie Goulard Tomomi Inada Japan Shangri-La Dialogue
- Location: SINGAPORE
- City: SINGAPORE
- Country: Singapore
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JQ3RK7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Japan's defence minister on Saturday (June 3) backed the United States using any option to deal with North Korea, including military strikes, and said Tokyo wanted to build a deeper alliance with Washington that could play a regional security role.
Pyongyang's accelerating nuclear and missile programmes are stoking fear in nearby Japan and prompting a harder line on North Korea from Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
Japanese Defence Minister Tomomi Inada also joked about the all-female panel at the security forum in Singapore.
At the same plenary session, French Defence Minister Sylvie Goulard said climate change can have an impact on defence, and said she "regretted" President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw the U.S. from the Paris climate change agreement. So far no countries have said they will follow Trump's lead, which has been widely condemned, with China and Europe pledging to unite to save "Mother Earth" in the face of Trump's decision to take the world's second largest carbon polluter out of the Paris climate change pact.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None