- Title: Leading candidates vote in State of Mexicoâ€™s governorâ€™s race
- Date: 4th June 2017
- Summary: TEXCOCO, STATE OF MEXICO, MEXICO (JUNE 04, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** CANDIDATE FOR GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MEXICO FOR THE MORENA PARTY, DELFINA GOMEZ, ARRIVING TO POLLING PLACE GOMEZ CHECKING IN AT REGISTRATION TABLE GOMEZ HOLDING UP BALLOT FOR CAMERAS POLLING WORKERS GOMEZ ENTERING VOTING BOOTH CLOSE-UP OF BALLOT BOX GOMEZ LEAVING VOTING BOOTH GOMEZ PUTTING BALLOT IN BALLOT BOX VOTERS LEAVING POLLING PLACE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CANDIDATE FOR GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MEXICO FOR THE MORENA PARTY, DELFINA GOMEZ, SAYING: "I think it's a dynamic that unfortunately has tried to instill fear. But, from what I've seen on social media, in Whatsapp, the people are determined to go exercise their right (to vote)." GOMEZ SPEAKING WITH MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CANDIDATE FOR GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MEXICO FOR THE MORENA PARTY, DELFINA GOMEZ, SAYING: "Yes, I will respect the result that comes from the decision of the people, of course. I will be very respectful. It shouldn't come from anything else, from poor conduct or other actions or elements from other parties, we will see. But from the start, you have to respect the people's decision no matter what it is." EXTERIOR OF POLLING PLACE HUIXQUILUCAN, STATE OF MEXICO, MEXICO (JUNE 04, 2017) (REUTERS) CANDIDATE FOR GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MEXICO FOR THE PRI PARTY, ALFREDO DEL MAZO, ARRIVING TO POLLING PLACE WITH HIS FAMILY DEL MAZO ARRIVING TO VOTE DEL MAZO CHECKING IN AT POLLING PLACE VARIOUS OF DEL MAZO GOING INTO VOTING BOOTH POLLING WORKERS DEL MAZO LEAVING VOTING BOOTH VARIOUS OF DEL MAZO PUTTING BALLOT IN BALLOT BOX CLOSE-UP OF BALLOT BOX VARIOUS OF DEL MAZO SHOWING INK-STAINED THUMB WITH HIS FAMILY AFTER VOTING DEL MAZO PREPARING TO ADDRESS MEDIA OUTSIDE POLLING PLACE (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CANDIDATE FOR GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF MEXICO FOR THE PRI PARTY, ALFREDO DEL MAZO, SAYING: "We hope it (election) is carried out peacefully and that the citizens are free to choose who they think is the best option for the State of Mexico. That the vote and the institutions are respected and that it be a party for democracy for the people of the State of Mexico." DEL MAZO LEAVING DEL MAZO SHOWING HIS INK-STAINED THUMB AS HE GETS INTO A CAR DEL MAZO LEAVING IN CAR VARIOUS OF CITIZENS VOTING TEXCOCO, STATE OF MEXICO, MEXICO (JUNE 04, 2017) (REUTERS) PEOPLE OUTSIDE POLLING PLACE POLL WORKERS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE VOTING
- Embargoed: 18th June 2017 18:14
- Keywords: Delfina Gomez Alfredo del Mazo State of Mexico election Mexico
- Location: TEXCOCO AND HUIXQUILUCAN, STATE OF MEXICO, MEXICO
- City: TEXCOCO AND HUIXQUILUCAN, STATE OF MEXICO, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JV4U2R
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The leading candidates in the hotly contested State of Mexico gubernatorial race cast their votes in Sunday's (June 4) contest in a major Mexican state where voters will decide whether to stick with the ruling party in what has been cast as a dry run for next year's presidential contest.
President Enrique Pena Nieto's Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) is battling to halt a run of losses.
It is squaring off in the State of Mexico, its biggest regional bastion, with the new party of leftist Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, who leads early polls for the July 2018 presidential race.
In PRI hands since 1929, the State of Mexico is home to one in eight Mexican voters, and if it falls to Lopez Obrador's National Regeneration Movement (MORENA) it could provide him with a springboard to take the top job.
Opinion polls show MORENA candidate Delfina Gomez running neck-and neck with PRI rival Alfredo del Mazo in the region of 16 million people that Pena Nieto himself once governed.
Gomez said she would respect the outcome of the vote while also condemning reports that pigs heads were dumped outside polling stations and that phone threats had marred the final hours leading up to the vote.
Del Mazo, a distant cousin of the president and the son and grandson of former state governors, called for the election to be carried out peacefully.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None