- Title: Thousands mark Tiananmen anniversary in Hong Kong candlelight vigil
- Date: 4th June 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF VIGIL ATTENDEE, LEE TAT-ON LISTENING TO SPEECH AND HOLDING CANDLE (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) ATTENDEE, LEE TAT-ON, SAYING: "We must not forget this important history. We must remember this event for our mainland counterparts and not give up on our dreams (of achieving democracy)."
- Embargoed: 18th June 2017 16:52
- Keywords: Beijing Hong Kong vigil commemoration crackdown Tiananmen
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: Hong Kong
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0076JV4MYV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands attended a candlelight vigil in Hong Kong on Sunday (June 4) to commemorate the victims of the 1989 pro-democracy Tiananmen Square crackdown in Beijing.
Organisers estimated around 110,000 people attended the main candlelight vigil in Victoria Park, while the police estimated attendance at 18,000.
Nearly three decades after Beijing sent tanks and troops to quell the 1989 pro-democracy, student-led protests, Chinese authorities ban any public commemoration of the subject on the mainland and have yet to release an official death toll.
This year's events are especially politically charged, coming just a month before an expected visit of President Xi Jinping to mark 20 years since Hong Kong was handed back to China.
Hong Kong, which returned to Chinese rule in 1997, is one of the very few places on the Chinese soil where June 4 commemorations are tolerated.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None