- Title: Voting starts in key gubernatorial race in Mexico
- Date: 4th June 2017
- Summary: HUIXQUILUCAN, STATE OF MEXICO, MEXICO (JUNE 4, 2017) (REUTERS) POLL WORKERS SETTING UP POLLING PLACE CLOSE-UP OF WORKERS SETTING UP BALLOT BOX VARIOUS OF WORKERS SETTING UP POLLING STATION WORKERS SETTING UP VOTING BOOTH (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) HEAD OF LOCAL POLLING PLACE, EVA RAMIREZ, SAYING: "Everything's OK. All the booths are ready. We have a few backups left over and there haven't been any issues so far. The party representatives are very cooperative." WORKERS LAYING OUT VOTING MATERIAL ON TABLE MORE OF WORKERS SETTING UP WORKERS SETTING UP VOTING BOTH WITH WRITING ON THE SIDE THAT READS (Spanish), "YOUR VOTE IS FREE AND SECRETIVE" CLOSE-UP OF VOTER REGISTRATION BOOK VOTER CHECKING IN AT REGISTRATION TABLE VOTER PLACING BALLOT IN BALLOT BOX
- Embargoed: 18th June 2017 15:49
- Keywords: Alfredo del Mazo Delfina Gomez Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador State of Mexico Enrique Pena Nieto voting elections Mexico
- Location: HUIXQUILUCAN, STATE OF MEXICO, MEXICO
- City: HUIXQUILUCAN, STATE OF MEXICO, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JV4TAB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Voting has begun in Mexico as the country's ruling party squares off against its main leftist rival in a major state election on Sunday (June 4) that could prove a dry run for next year's presidential contest.
President Enrique Pena Nieto's Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI) is battling to defend its biggest state bastion from the new party of veteran campaigner Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, who has led early polls for the July 2018 presidential race.
In PRI hands since 1929, the State of Mexico is home to one in eight Mexican voters, and if it falls to Lopez Obrador's leftist National Regeneration Movement (MORENA) it could provide him with a springboard to take the top job.
Opinion polls show MORENA's gubernatorial candidate for the State of Mexico, Delfina Gomez, running neck-and neck with PRI rival Alfredo del Mazo in the region of 16 million people that Pena Nieto himself once governed.
State elections are also being held in the states of Nayarit, Coahuila and Veracruz.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None