- Title: London attackers plough van into crowd and stab revellers, kill seven
- Date: 4th June 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 4, 2017) (REUTERS) MEDIA AND POLICE STANDING AT CORDON NEAR BOROUGH MARKET, SITE OF ATTACK ON SATURDAY (JUNE 3) WHERE ASSAILANTS STABBED REVELLERS AFTER DRIVING VAN INTO PEDESTRIANS AT LONDON BRIDGE VARIOUS OF ARMED POLICE FROM "NATIONAL FUSION TEAM" WALKING UP ESCALATOR NEXT TO BUILDING KNOWN AS THE SHARD IN LONDON BRIDGE ARMED OFFICERS STANDING ON UPPER LEVEL, SIGN READING (English): "THE VIEW FROM THE SHARD" POLICE CAR DRIVING ALONG STREET VARIOUS OF ARMED OFFICERS STANDING ON UPPER LEVEL BY THE SHARD VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICERS, POLICE VEHICLES, FIRE ENGINES AND AMBULANCES NEAR BOROUGH MARKET POLICE OFFICERS GATHERED BY VEHICLE POLICE TAPE IN FRONT OF BOROUGH MARKET
- Embargoed: 18th June 2017 10:49
- Keywords: UK England armed police Borough London Bridge London attacks
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JV3QKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Assailants drove a van into pedestrians at high speed on London Bridge on Saturday (June 3) night before stabbing revellers on nearby streets, killing at least seven people and wounding dozens in what police suspect was a terrorist attack.
Armed police rushed to the scene and, within eight minutes of receiving the first emergency call shortly after 10 p.m. (2100GMT), had shot dead the three male attackers in the Borough Market area near the bridge. At least 48 people were injured in the attack.
London Bridge is a major transport hub and nearby Borough Market is a fashionable warren of alleyways packed with bars and restaurants that is always bustling on a Saturday night.
The area remained cordoned off and patrolled by armed police and counter-terrorism officers on Sunday (June 4), with train stations closed. There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the latest attack to hit Britain and Europe.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None