- Title: Netanyahu says Israel stands with Britain after attack that killed seven
- Date: 4th June 2017
- Summary: ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF DELEGATES LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRIME MINISTER OF ISRAEL, BENJAMIN NETANYAHU, SAYING: "In recent hours, another terrible attack was launched on innocent people in the heart of London. We condemn it, we send our condolences to the British people and we pledge our commitment to fight this scourge, this scourge that knows no bounds. These terrorists worship death, they murder indiscriminately but they will not frighten us, they will not terrorise us. They will only harden our resolve to defeat them. And together, here in Africa and the Middle East and Europe everywhere, together we will defeat them faster. But our goal here is not merely to join forces to fight the bad, but to work together to advance the good. And in this spirit I come here as an expression of a simple truth, Israel is coming back to Africa and Africa is coming back to Israel. I believe in Africa." DELEGATES LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRIME MINISTER OF ISRAEL, BENJAMIN NETANYAHU, SAYING: "Today we seek to share our experience with the governments and peoples of Africa. ECOWAS mission is to increase peace and prosperity by harnessing Africa's values. I came to Africa last year, to East Africa, I saw these resources firsthand, I saw diversity and richness, I saw passion and productivity. I saw young African entrepreneurs who are building companies, harnessing the power of the digital age. Africans are ceasing the feature, Israel wants to cease this future with you. You truly have no better partner for this mission than Israel." DELEGATES LISTENING (SOUNDBITE) (English) PRESIDENT OF LIBERIA, ELLEN JOHNSON SIRLEAF, SAYING: "Our organisation contains its mission of promoting peace even as it faces challenges, linked to the spread of terrorism, terrorist attacks and engendering instability in a number of our members states. And we know that terrorism constitutes a growing threat for all of us." ECOWAS MEMBERS POSING FOR GROUP PHOTO DELEGATES LEAVING ROOM
- Embargoed: 18th June 2017 18:40
- Keywords: Israeli solidarity summit ECOWAS attack London Netanyahu
- Location: MONROVIA, LIBERIA
- City: MONROVIA, LIBERIA
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036JV5553
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: VIDEO AND AUDIO QUALITY AS INCOMING
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, on visit in Liberia, offered condolences to the victims of an attack in London on Sunday (June 4) and vowed to stand with Britain in defeating those behind it.
Netanyahu addressed Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) gathering in Liberia as a guest speaker on Sunday and held meetings with several African leaders on the sidelines of the conference.
World leaders have been sending condolences and offers of support to Britain following the attack.
Three attackers drove a van at high speed into pedestrians on London Bridge and stabbed revellers on nearby streets on Saturday (June 3), killing seven people and injuring 48.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None