- Title: A look at events leading up to Cosby's upcoming sexual assault trial
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: NORRISTOWN, PENNSYLVANIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - FEBRUARY 3, 2016) (UNRESTRICTED POOL) COSBY IN COURTHOUSE OFFICE, BEING ESCORTED INTO ELEVATOR COSBY BEING ESCORTED OUT OF ELEVATOR, WALKING INTO COURTROOM
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 17:33
- Keywords: victim sexual assault trial court Bill Cosby
- Location: TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA / PITTSBURGH AND MONTGOMERY COUNTY AND NORRISTOWN, PENNSYLVANIA AND DENVER, COLORADO AND NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK CITY AND WASHINGTON, D.C. AND LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA / PITTSBURGH AND MONTGOMERY COUNTY AND NORRISTOWN, PENNSYLVANIA AND DENVER, COLORADO AND NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK CITY AND WASHINGTON, D.C. AND LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0046JL1RUV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Bill Cosby is set to stand trial in a sexual assault case, bringing to a head a years-long scandal where dozens of women came forward, accusing the actor and comedian of assault in instances that span decades. Once known as America's favorite TV dad, the 79-year-old Cosby will defend himself against one of those women, Andrea Constand, a former basketball coach at his Temple University alma mater. She alleges Cosby assaulted her in 2004 at his Philadelphia home, plying her with pills that left her unable to resist his advances.
Cosby was arrested on December 30, 2015 after Constand agreed to press criminal charges following more than 50 women coming forward to claim abuse, but whose cases were all too old and had fallen out of the statute of limitations for any charges to be brought about.
Constand had previously settled a civil case, in which Cosby paid her an undisclosed sum in exchange for her agreement not to cooperate with future law enforcement efforts. During sworn depositions taken for that case, Cosby acknowledged obtaining prescription sedatives in the 1970s to give to young women. However, the entertainer, whose career and wholesome image were shattered by the accusations, has said every sexual encounter he's had was consensual, including the one with Constand.
Jury selection for the trial took place in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania but the case will be held hundreds of miles away in the Philadelphia suburb of Norristown, where he was originally arrested. Opening statements are scheduled for June 5; the trial is expected to last two weeks.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None