- Title: Former head of Ukraine's Greek Catholics laid to rest in Kiev cathedral
- Date: 5th June 2017
- Summary: CLERGYMEN AND BELIEVERS AROUND CASKET CASKET
- Embargoed: 19th June 2017 16:30
- Keywords: Kiev ex-head of Ukraine's Greek Catholic church Cardinal Lubomyr Husar Funeral
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Topics: Religion/Belief,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0026K02I49
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of Kiev residents as well as over six hundred clergymen from all over Ukraine and abroad gathered for a mourning service on Monday (June 5) to pay respect to the Catholic spiritual leader, Cardinal Lubomyr Husar, who passed away on May 31 at the age of 85.
Cardinal Lubomyr Husar was the Major Archbishop of Ukrainian Greek-Catholic church, one of the largest Eastern churches in full communion with the Holy See.
Believers joined in prayer in the Patriarchal Cathedral of The Resurrection of Christ.
Husar was born in 1933 in Lviv, which was at that time a Polish city. He fled with his parents during World War II to Austria and then to the United States in 1949.
He was ordained a priest in 1958, and was a pastor of Holy Trinity Ukraine Catholic Church in New York.
After the collapse of the Soviet Union Lubomyr Husar returned to Ukraine and became a key figure in the revival of Ukrainian Greek-Catholic church, banned in the USSR by the Communist regime.
He resigned in 2011 due to illness but remained one of the most respected spiritual leaders of Ukraine.
The cardinal was laid to rest in the Patriarchal Cathedral of The Resurrection of Christ crypt.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.