- Title: Thousands of Berlin revellers celebrate Carnival of Cultures
- Date: 4th June 2017
- Summary: VARIOUS OF DANCERS DANCING IN LINE TO BAGPIPE MUSIC
- Embargoed: 18th June 2017 15:51
- Keywords: Berlin street parade Carnival of Cultures Germany
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0026JV1W7B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Berlin's annual Carnival of Culture was somewhat overshadowed by the attacks in London on Saturday (June 3) evening and in Manchester on May 22, and the security was accordingly tight. But there were no extra police or street barricades.
But despite pouring rain, thousands of revellers took to the streets of the German capital on Sunday (June 4) to watch a colourful street parade celebrating the city's ethnic minorities. The organiser expected up to half a million revellers.
Police were out in force guarding the carnival, using their own vehicles to protect the carnival. Many had expected concrete barriers, but there was no practical need for them, as the police said.
But despite the potential target, the revellers were unconcerned, as one participant summed it up: "I do not let my life being ruled by those things. And I don't think that would be in the interest of the victims."
Established in 1996, this year's 22nd edition kicked off on Friday (June 2) and will end on Monday (June 5).
The traditional street parade on Sunday boasts 63 groups of musicians, dancers and acrobats from various countries in colourful costumes, presenting the cultural diversity.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.